What is a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osubum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting an answer in a different thread, PennPB wrote "Also, I prefer the British system of using the term "doctor." Makes far more sense than how it's tossed about in the US."

In the US doctors are defined by people who have a doctorate, the highest degree. Some of these degrees are PharmD, DDS, DMD, MD, DO, etc.

What do the British define a doctor as? How is different from ours?

Sorry about the waste of space. It sounds like a simple Q, but I cant find the A anywhere. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any British people out there that could field this one?

you waited 20 minutes..... give it some time

Members don't see this ad :)
well, it seems like evrybody is at his back and call in this regard :)

I am having a hard time getting an answer in a different thread, PennPB wrote "Also, I prefer the British system of using the term "doctor." Makes far more sense than how it's tossed about in the US."

In the US doctors are defined by people who have a doctorate, the highest degree. Some of these degrees are PharmD, DDS, DMD, MD, DO, etc.

Sorry about the waste of space. It sounds like a simple Q, but I cant find the A anywhere. Thanks for your help.

Ph.D.'s are true doctors. they have earned the highest degree possible in a field.
But who cares. Do it because you like it not because you will become a doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctorate

I agree with that! PhDs are amazing! My inquiry has nothing to do with my decision to be a dentist. I am interested because someone indicated that the term doctor means something different in England. What is it, though? It is really nagging at me.

It's just somebody with a 'doctorate' degree. Lawyers and MBAs not included, haha.

It's just somebody with a 'doctorate' degree. Lawyers and MBAs not included, haha.

Well obviously not MBAs, who would argue with that? It stands for Master's of Business Administration.

Lawyers can be doctor's if they hold an LLD, which is a Doctorate of Laws I believe.

I agree with that! PhDs are amazing! My inquiry has nothing to do with my decision to be a dentist. I am interested because someone indicated that the term doctor means something different in England. What is it, though? It is really nagging at me.

I think PhDs should get their own title...the research done and guided by their crazy brains makes the world go round!!

They should get their own salutation or whatever it's called...

To throw some more confusion into the mix, did you know that surgeons in the UK are referred to as "Mister" and not "Doctor" ?

the definition of the old word origin for "doctor" is teacher...maybe thats why you pretty much need a PhD to teach at a university

Well obviously not MBAs, who would argue with that? It stands for Master's of Business Administration.

Lawyers can be doctor's if they hold an LLD, which is a Doctorate of Laws I believe.

Lawyers are doctors once they graduate from law school. The degree they earn is a J.D.
J.D. = Doctor of Jurisprudence.

I don't consider law doctorate level. They take anybody with a pulse and some sort of undergrad degree. The phrase is really only appropriate for the medical professions and phds.

I don't consider law doctorate level. They take anybody with a pulse and some sort of undergrad degree. The phrase is really only appropriate for the medical professions and phds.

you'll find a lot of PhD programs that do the same. Masters degree are also similar.

When will the blanket statements stop?

Doctor: Next please. Name?
Man: Er, Watson.
Doctor: (writing it down) Mr. Watson.
Man: Ah, no, Doctor.
Doctor: Ah, Mr. Doctor.
Man: No, not Mr., Doctor.
Doctor: Oh, Doctor Doctor.
Man: No, Doctor Watson.
Doctor: Oh, Doctor Watson Doctor.
Man: Oh, just call me darling.
Doctor: Hello, Mr. Darling.
Man: No, Doctor.
Doctor: Hello Doctor Darling.

A shiny nickel to whomever knows what that is from.

doctor.jpg