What is a Fellowship in Med Tox like for EM physicians? How does it change the nature of your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title kind of asks all I'm wondering. Except I guess I'd also like to know what compensation is for a Medical Toxicologist? Do you still work in the ED often? Do you work in labs more so? I guess I don't know the first thing about this specialty, like why is it also available for PharmDs? So is it the same job whether you trained for it through Pharm D or EM?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to much to the salary except that their compensation is standard in most academic places.

At my residency, the toxicology faculty have several roles: 1) they are ED docs that pull X number of shifts a month anywhere from 6-12 depending on how much buy down they get from research or other tox related activities. 2) they run the toxicology consult service with a resident and a fellow. They are usually on call for X days a month, see consults with the residents/fellows (only sick patients overnight, otherwise the resident/fellow will see them), round on the patients, give recommendations, bill for seeing the patients etc. 3) They give medical direction to the state poison control center. 4) They have a toxicology clinic that they see patients in once a week for a few hours 5) They usually do some sort of research, not always basic science, sometimes it's clinical.

In many places, toxicologists can work in industry (pharmaceutical, agricultural etc), work in consulting, forensics/legal stuff etc.

I can't speak to the PharmD pathway, but I don't think it's the same job. In one job you are a physician identifying toxicological emergencies, initiating treatment for the patients, given antidotes if there any available, etc. In another, you are a pharmacist. Still an important role but likely different cope of practice.