KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
This is probably a naive question, but that is on the poll in the main page, and I wasn't sure what they were talking about. Do they mean hypothetically(a school that only cares about your money and gives you no direction), or are there really schools like this?

In any case, hypothetical or not, I chose yes, but only as a final option if I get all rejections. Unless it's similar to Steward Med, then it'll be my first option :smuggrin:

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
The way these secondaries are looking I'd say all of them :(

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is probably a naive question, but that is on the poll in the main page, and I wasn't sure what they were talking about. Do they mean hypothetically(a school that only cares about your money and gives you no direction), or are there really schools like this?

In any case, hypothetical or not, I chose yes, but only as a final option if I get all rejections. Unless it's similar to Steward Med, then it'll be my first option :smuggrin:

To my knowledge, none of the US medical schools are for profit, in the sense that they are actually making money by training students. Rather, they are heavily subsidized by the government or private donations. Also, there is a significant amount of prestige in having a medical school as part of your university, as well as the fact that it increases the chances of physicians staying in that city or state. I could of sworn that the price of training a medical student was something like twice what the student pays, but maybe I misread a previous post.

Usually when "for profit" schools are mentioned, it is the Carribean schools that are being referred to. These schools are basically in it for the money, and they have lower admissions standards because they know you aren't going to be staying anyways, but will come back to the States. It is in their best interest to have you flunk out or drop out in the first couple years, because rotations are much more expensive that basic science.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
To my knowledge, none of the US medical schools are for profit, in the sense that they are actually making money by training students. Rather, they are heavily subsidized by the government or private donations. Also, there is a significant amount of prestige in having a medical school as part of your university, as well as the fact that it increases the chances of physicians staying in that city or state. I could of sworn that the price of training a medical student was something like twice what the student pays, but maybe I misread a previous post.

Usually when "for profit" schools are mentioned, it is the Carribean schools that are being referred to. These schools are basically in it for the money, and they have lower admissions standards because they know you aren't going to be staying anyways, but will come back to the States. It is in their best interest to have you flunk out or drop out in the first couple years, because rotations are much more expensive that basic science.

Actually, there is. The newest osteopathic medical school is for-profit. Rocky Vista University in Colorado is a big controversy in the osteopathic profession right now.

Rabbit36

Lagomorphadelic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The way these secondaries are looking I'd say all of them :(
For-profit means the profits go into the pockets of shareholders or the owners/directors of the business. Non-profits can make a profit, they just have to put it back into organizational things like expanding, overhead, processing etc. I think it's funny when people think non-profits have to be money pits that aren't allowed to generate any profit. I'm not aware of any US med schools (with the exception of the new osteopathic school mentioned above) that have shareholders or put secondary fees into the pockets of the board of directors.

beachblonde

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Is it that easy to fail out of a Caribbean school?
The attrition rates at any given Caribbean school will be far higher than any US med school.

I'm not quite sure how it all works, but I believe that by attending a for-profit school your ability to get loans is different than students at not for profit schools. Right now students at Rocky Vista are not eligible for federal loans, but I think that has more to do with accreditation status than anything else.

Decicco

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
MN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
To my knowledge, none of the US medical schools are for profit, in the sense that they are actually making money by training students. Rather, they are heavily subsidized by the government or private donations.
Actually, there are for-profit DO schools in the United States.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Actually, there are for-profit DO schools in the United States.
There is only one, as I mentioned above. Hopefully there will not be more, but I fear that they are coming.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Actually, there is. The newest osteopathic medical school is for-profit. Rocky Vista University in Colorado is a big controversy in the osteopathic profession right now.
Gotta love the AOA. :thumbdown: Make the rest of us look like idiots because they "needed" this school. They couldn't have found an undergrad to undertake a not-for-profit DO school in CO? Sigh.

Combatbarbie

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hmmmm prob around 100,000 call it an expensive school and just have it be really really easy.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
The attrition rates at any given Caribbean school will be far higher than any US med school.
Their attrition rates are often higher than all US med schools combined, not just any med school. In US med school the attrition is less than 5%. At some of the offshore schools the graduating class is a mere fraction of the number of students who started together as first years. This is the biggest reason why it's not a good gamble for most.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
NVM, I seem to have been wrong.

Last edited:

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I know LECOM (DO) is for profit.
Which one? There are three. That info doesn't seem very accurate (ive never heard any lecom campus being for profit, but then again i havent done much research on it)

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
No it isn't.
LECOM is a private, non-profit corporation. The College is part of the Millcreek Health System; along with Millcreek Community Hospital, Millcreek Geriatric Care and Education Center and physician clinics managed by Medical Associates of Erie. As part of this Academic Health Campus, LECOM is opening the Medical Fitness and Wellness Center adjacent to Millcreek Community Hospital.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I know LECOM (DO) is for profit.
You know wrong.

Since this has only been mentioned multiple times.

Rocky Vista University is the ONLY for profit school (DO or MD) within the United States.

For profit means that. They are out to make some money on it. I don't know anybody that really likes the idea. I'm trying to not judge RVU too hard. For all I know, they'll produce some rock solid doctors.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
ROFL no it's not ... quit being stupid.
Well, I was told that exact information from a LECOM grad who is now a resident. I guess I did not think to question it. Thanks for the ROFL...

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
For-profit means the profits go into the pockets of shareholders or the owners/directors of the business. Non-profits can make a profit, they just have to put it back into organizational things like expanding, overhead, processing etc. I think it's funny when people think non-profits have to be money pits that aren't allowed to generate any profit. I'm not aware of any US med schools (with the exception of the new osteopathic school mentioned above) that have shareholders or put secondary fees into the pockets of the board of directors.
:p I was actually joking but I do appreciate the information as well :)

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Well, I was told that exact information from a LECOM grad who is now a resident. I guess I did not think to question it. Thanks for the ROFL...
He/She was probably confusing 'private institution' with 'for-profit' institution. There is only one for profit DO school - RVUCOM, which has created a huge negative backlash in the Osteopathic community. It will be a problem if the schools continue to pop up. Eventually - if for-profit DO schools continue to start up - you're going to have two separate classes of DO students, and the second class (for profit) is going to have problems all around.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
He/She was probably confusing 'private institution' with 'for-profit' institution. There is only one for profit DO school - RVUCOM, which has created a huge negative backlash in the Osteopathic community. It will be a problem if the schools continue to pop up. Eventually - if for-profit DO schools continue to start up - you're going to have two separate classes of DO students, and the second class (for profit) is going to have problems all around.
I was told verbatim that is was for-profit. Looking back, I guess she meant private institution. But again, this person was a grad of said institution- so I took what she said as accurate.

I think you were out of line with your first comment. I was in no way knowingly trying to spread false information. Nor, was I bashing any school or the DO profession.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There is absolutely no reason to bash the DO profession, since the existence of RVU is sufficient in and of itself to accomplish that goal.

:D

[/jk]
Don't you have rounds or something to do? :smuggrin:

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I was told verbatim that is was for-profit. Looking back, I guess she meant private institution. But again, this person was a grad of said institution- so I took what she said as accurate.

I think you were out of line with your first comment. I was in no way knowingly trying to spread false information. Nor, was I bashing any school or the DO profession.
I'm telling you verbatim ... it's not for-profit. Clear enough??? I don't think I was out of line with my first comment. I thought you were spreading unfounded information, you weren't and cleared it up. End of story.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Actually, it is out of line for you to lash out and tell someone who you do not know to, "quite being stupid"- especially after many other people had already pointed out the honest mistake. It is attitudes like yours that make this site less attractive to potential new members. I understand that people think they are tough because they can take a cheap shot at a stranger, hundreds of miles away, from behing their computer screen. I have confidence in the hope that you have the decency to not act that way in real life, JaggerPlate.

Good luck with the admissions process!

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Actually, it is out of line for you to lash out and tell someone who you do not know to, "quite being stupid"- especially after many other people had already pointed out the honest mistake. It is attitudes like yours that make this site less attractive to potential new members. I understand that people think they are tough because they can take a cheap shot at a stranger, hundreds of miles away, from behing their computer screen. I have confidence in the hope that you have the decency to not act that way in real life, JaggerPlate.

Good luck with the admissions process!
You know what ... I probably shouldn't have jumped on you like that. This site tends to create defensive reflexes, especially when it comes to things like DO comments in pre-allo forums, and I reacted. It was probably impulsive and unfounded, and I shouldn't have reacted so harshly. I'm not trying to be tough, nor do I find any pleasure in the secure nature of cowboy antics on the internet (like many others). Good luck to you too, and as you can probably tell from the rest of the thread ... LECOM is not a for-profit institution.