What is a good 4-year pre-dental plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an upcoming freshman planning on majoring in cell bio; no minor.

Here is my preliminary 4-year plan:
Freshman
Bio I&II
Chem I&II
Language
Some liberal arts requirement class
*Start shadowing dentists/get volunteering hours in/take it easy as I transition into college

Sophomore
OChem I&II
Calc I
Bio III
Sociology
Statistics
Psychology
Genetics
*start studying for DAT by spring semester

Junior
Biochem I
A&P I&II
Physics I&II
Developmental Bio class
More Liberal arts classes
*apply to dental schools this summer

Senior
Microbiology
Molecular Genetics
Liberal arts classes

Anything missing here for pre-reqs? Any advice for a college student? Guide to success?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what u wanna major in and what school you go to (liveral arts or like a big state school)

Members don't see this ad :)
You spend WAYY too much time planning.

Here is something to keep in mind: you will not be able to predict your future in the detail you imagine. There are so many permutations to your future, that trying to consider these few paths is nothing more than a false sense of control. A FALSE sense.

You want to be a dentist? Great. Do well in school, study hard, shadow, volunteer, and you're in. It's that simple. Work on having a social life, because that is much more important than you realize. Enjoy being in college. Enjoy being 18. Maintain balance.

Reactions: 5 users
this is something you should work with your academic and prehealth advisors to figure out but overall your plan looks good

With this much foresight and aim, I hope this kid makes it.

Good luck, OP. Make the SDN community proud.

Reactions: 1 user
4 year plan: makes good grades and take the DAT serious. Your welcome.

Looks good. I would take cell biology junior or senior year. You seem to be missing that course.

You spend WAYY too much time planning.

Here is something to keep in mind: you will not be able to predict your future in the detail you imagine. There are so many permutations to your future, that trying to consider these few paths is nothing more than a false sense of control. A FALSE sense.

You want to be a dentist? Great. Do well in school, study hard, shadow, volunteer, and you're in. It's that simple. Work on having a social life, because that is much more important than you realize. Enjoy being in college. Enjoy being 18. Maintain balance.
As schmoob said,

You don't need a plan. Give school a 100% effort and do the best you can in your pre reqs. Get them done whether it takes 3 years of 5 years. Enjoy your time and don't kill yourself. School isn't hard if you balance out your time and put in the time when it is necessary