What is a good job.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathslides

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A previous thread mentioned many pathologists are stuck in mediocre jobs. While I feel I don't fall into that category and I love my job, what are all the characteristics of a job that would sum up to an overall "good job" in your mind?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say 11 wks vaca, >500k as partner, no grossing, multispecialty group is a "good job", but also a "fairy tale".

Maybe getting two out of the above three would describe a pretty good job.

As someone in private practice one important feature of a good job would be partnership opportunity and a share in the business. So if I do more work, I make more money rather than some owner of the lab makes more money.
I would say 11 wks vaca, >500k as partner, no grossing, multispecialty group is a "good job", but also a "fairy tale".

I would say that's more of a great job. Comes close to my group, although we're still mostly general and get 8 weeks, not 11 of vacation. We're slowly working towards increased specialization, though.

Having competent colleagues who all get along with one another should also be on the list.

When I first started in practice I had to deal with the problems caused by an 80 year old pathologist who was no longer competent and made frequent mistakes. Also, one of my other colleagues did not get along with the head of our department. Fortunately both issues have resolved themselves.

Last edited:
It's a good job if you like going in in the morning and don't get a pit in your stomach every sunday night. It's also a good job if you feel you are fairly compensated.

Simplistic but sometimes you have to figure out what matters to you. For some this is $, for some it is location, for some it is specific duties.