What is a good MCAT score for OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ho04pe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I know this has been asked many times, but I wanted to ask specifically for students coming from the US territories like American Samoa. We are considered out of state everywhere (obviously), so I just wanted to know what score I should be aiming for considering I have adequate ECs and a very good GPA. Also, I am not URM although I am from Samoa.
P.S I understand that JABSOM (Hawaii) is kind to us Islanders, but living in Hawaii plus the OOS tuition (60k!!) would be so expensive. I just really want to know what my choices are.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

510+ would be ideal

~60k for private or OOS schools is not much higher than average unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user
I am surprised that people without a state or without a state medical school do not get some preference in other states.

But to answer your question. 510+ would open doors, Score the highest you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised that people without a state or without a state medical school do not get some preference in other states.
There's usually a state school in close proximity that treats those applicants as IS applicants (maybe not always for tuition though), University of Washington is a good example, anyone from Alaska, Idaho, and Montana are also considered for the IS applicant pool if I remember right. So, there might be a similar situation for those in US territories (such as Hawaii), and OOS tuition generally only applies for the first year usually, which is some consolation. I'm not familiar with the relationship between med schools and Samoa, but I'm sure there might be something out there that covers this in-depth.
As above, 510+ is always a good range to shoot for, but do the best you can.

There's usually a state school in close proximity that treats those applicants as IS applicants (maybe not always for tuition though), University of Washington is a good example, anyone from Alaska, Idaho, and Montana are also considered for the IS applicant pool if I remember right. So, there might be a similar situation for those in US territories (such as Hawaii), and OOS tuition generally only applies for the first year usually, which is some consolation. I'm not familiar with the relationship between med schools and Samoa, but I'm sure there might be something out there that covers this in-depth.
As above, 510+ is always a good range to shoot for, but do the best you can.

I'm an american citizen but grew up in Canada (Montreal), I am now studying Biomedical Engineering doing a masters degree at hopkins. Would U Maryland treat me as in-state? Are there other schools nearby that might do the same? I'm new to school picking and having a lot of trouble choosing them.
My stats and everything are in this thread, in case it helps paint a better picture of my situation:
Need help understanding what schools to target

Would U Maryland treat me as in-state? Are there other schools nearby that might do the same?
It depends on the residency requirements of the state of Maryland and U Maryland's policies as well, you would have to look into those yourself. If you have your own apartment/house/etc in Maryland, and your taxes go there, and you spend most of your time living in Maryland, that is probably a good sign that you would be considered in-state. But the problem is, some states don't allow students to qualify as residents no matter what (e.g. Minnesota).

Probably should start your search here: Residency

I don't have a lot of experience with school choice, particularly around stats, so I'd have to defer to someone else in the thread. Sorry!

*Edit*: However, I can say with some degree of confidence that you really need to improve your clinical and non-clinical volunteering (after skimming the thread you linked to). 70 hours and 0 hours respectively are well below the average applicant, and should be boosted to ensure that you have a competitive application for your first time through the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the residency requirements of the state of Maryland and U Maryland's policies as well, you would have to look into those yourself. If you have your own apartment/house/etc in Maryland, and your taxes go there, and you spend most of your time living in Maryland, that is probably a good sign that you would be considered in-state. But the problem is, some states don't allow students to qualify as residents no matter what (e.g. Minnesota).

Probably should start your search here: Residency

I don't have a lot of experience with school choice, particularly around stats, so I'd have to defer to someone else in the thread. Sorry!

*Edit*: However, I can say with some degree of confidence that you really need to improve your clinical and non-clinical volunteering (after skimming the thread you linked to). 70 hours and 0 hours respectively are well below the average applicant, and should be boosted to ensure that you have a competitive application for your first time through the cycle.

Thank you. Can I include future hours on my application? If I commit to a volunteering opportunity they would schedule me and I could jack it up by another 50 hours or so.

Can I include future hours on my application?
You can, as long as it is certain you are going to complete those hours. But it is generally not recommended as AdComs can view it as "box-checking" rather than actual commitment to the activity. An additional 50 hours will be better, but still below average. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think ~150+ in each category is around the minimum. Personally I think I had about 200-250 in clinical and non-clinical volunteering on AMCAS.