What is a good MCAT score? Is it really that hard to get a good score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acclimatize

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I realize it takes a lot of preparation, but I was under the impression that it was a test that could be learned. In other words, if you grind hard enough most can get a 30.

Also, I guess my friends are biased, but my friend, who studied Physics at MIT, said he looked at his sibling's MCAT study material and said the Physics subject matter was stuff he did in high school.

For many people, if they try hard enough (i.e. follow a legit longitudinal study strategy), they can score 30+. However, I don't think that is the case once you get around 35+.

Yes, the science knowledge required is exclusively from the pre-reqs...depending on your high school, perhaps you covered most of the material from the pre-reqs already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is getting a 30 like getting a 1400 on the old SATs? (Okay, but not great score.)

I scored ~mid-30's on the MCAT.

My SAT score was ~1200 (old version).

I did not prep an ounce from the SAT; I prepped for the MCAT.

Conclude what you wish.

Hmm, okay. Thanks. So if someone got a 1580 SAT without prepping, 5s on all APs including sciences, then majored in Physics at MIT, they should probably find the MCAT super easy? Just trying to see how much effort this person will have to put in.

Majoring in physics at MIT is a moot point.

The only physics knowledge you will use on the exam is from physics 101 and 102...hell, not even the calculus version (i.e. prob what physics majors took).

If one is reasonably intelligent, they will do well with some effort.

That said, if one gets accepted to MIT, it is fair to assume that they are at minimum "reasonably intelligent"... they will most likely do well with some effort.

Hmm, okay. Thanks. So if someone got a 1580 SAT without prepping, 5s on all APs including sciences, then majored in Physics at MIT, they should probably find the MCAT super easy? Just trying to see how much effort this person will have to put in.

Effort is a highly subjective metric, especially when applied to MCAT prep. However, I doubt anyone would find the MCAT "super easy."

If that person was adequately prepared for the test, and had a strong background on all the necessary sciences (and I don't think AP classes are enough), and had taken numerous practice tests to get a feel for the style of testing (the questions are never straight forward), then maybe.

I don't think anyone, even those that did really well, would call the exam "easy".

Yeah, but I guess it means you don't really have to study for the physical sciences portion, plus verbal reasoning you don't really need to study for anyway. So really the only section you have to study for is biological sciences.

Once you have the foundation knowledge down, it becomes a game of mastering reading comprehension and timing/speed.

If the physics material is already mastered prior to beginning mcat prep, then all that is needed is mastering the timing component of taking the physical sciences section.

There is very little to take away from "studying" for the verbal reasoning section, it is pretty much all about speed and synthesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
This person has already graduated from MIT with a degree in Physics. Knowledge is not just based on AP classes. I'm guessing this person wouldn't really have to study for the PS or VR. Probably have to study for BS.
Well, the PS section also tests Gen Chem, and I certainly would not underestimate VR (seriously).

Also, I guess my friends are biased, but my friend, who studied Physics at MIT, said he looked at his sibling's MCAT study material and said the Physics subject matter was stuff he did in high school. This is contrary to what pre-meds told me in undergrad, so I was just curious to gauge how difficult the test really is.

Most students who major in physics at MIT have already mastered introductory physics by the time they leave high school. These are among the brightest young physicists in the country. I'm not sure what the point is in comparing them to the tens of thousands of pre-meds who are, for the most part, neither especially interested in nor particularly talented at physics.

This person got a 172 LSAT with 3 weeks prep, and supposedly the LSAT's RC/LR are much harder than the MCAT's VR. Although, the LSAT is more natural ability based and can't really be improved through study. Not sure if VR is natural ability based or what. Plus, verbal doesn't seem like something that you can improve much on.
I've taken the LSAT, and I honestly think they're pretty different.

BTW, what is the point of this thread REALLY? Some genius Physicist says that an idiot can get accepted into med school? And this person also got a 172 on the LSAT?

Scientists almost universally hate doctors so in general scientists are primed to tear doctors apart, and physicists look down on all other scientists too. To someone with a graduate degree in physics, nearly everyone is "stupid," but it's more like "omg you're so stupid, you're only smarter than 99.5% of the population!"

LSAT RC section is harder than MCAT's VR section.

You should have mentioned the 172 earlier.

"This person" you keep referring to will do well.

I have a fear of the MCAT. I feel like it's such a crucial, life-or-death exam in one's aspirations that it's almost phobia-inducing. The fear that you aren't going to do well. I recently found out that someone whom I found extremely intelligent didn't even hit 30. And how am I suppose to? I don't think I could. I did poorly on my SATs and I probably don't have a high IQ. In actuality, I won't be able to score 35+ or even 30+. Where's my hope?

Not everyone can score over 35.

Almost everyone that is "smart enough" to ace the pre-reqs at a legit program, can score a 30+ with enough effort/dedication.

I haven't written any of the other professional admittance exams, but I thought the MCAT was pretty easy. My score wasn't exceptional, but neither was my preparation. I found that all the tips for MCAT exam writing weren't very helpful, and with just knowing the proper science material the questions doable. However, I found the testing conditions to be stressful, but that may have just been bad luck (noisy room, only allowed to use pencils on dark purple scrap paper...)

Stop listening to your stuck up MIT friends and start studying. MIT students may be bright, but a lot of them are socially inept buffoons. Becoming a doctor requires more than just exceptional intelligence...

Fair enough. Just trying to get a sense of the middle ground, and also gauge how much a person like this would have to study to do well on the MCAT.

That depends on what you mean by "well". I actually did major in physics at MIT. I spent a fair bit of time studying for the MCAT, taking and thoroughly reviewing all available AAMC FLs (some more than once), and doing in-depth review on the subjects that I was making mistakes on. For me, the material in the PS section was pretty easy, but I did need to work on strategy a bit to ensure consistency. Doing well on the BS and VR section definitely required studying and practice.

In the end, I'm not sure what's to be gained from comparing your experience with the MCAT to someone else's. It's a fairly broad test. There's always going to be someone who had better preparation than you, or a better inherent grasp of, at least one of the sections. Figure out what _you_ need to do well, and do that. Don't sweat what other people need to do.

Look at the percentages. I think a 30 is around the 80th percentile. Is it easy to score better than 80% of other test takers (ie the people who haven't already been weeded out by the undergrad coursework)? No. Is it impossible? No. To get a 35+, you'd probably need to score higher than 95% of the people, so that obviously might be impossible for some people.

I double majored in Biology and Chemistry with a high GPA (3.7 cGPA), did some engineering and had a graduate degree in biochemistry and my first FL was a 24 before any preparation. After prepping for the exam, I scored a 37.

You can theoretically score well on the MCAT without preparation, just as it's theoretically possible to be a NFL pro-bowl quarterback with little training.

I wouldnt get caught up in the numbers. My first MCAT (one i got in with although later retook and scored much higher) was low. I was never asked about it in any interviews and was very successful this application process even though I applied late in September. Im a middle class white dude btw.

Most schools want to see high academic achievement/potential but even more so strong character and passion for medicine. This is evidenced by HANDS ON healthcare experience, long term dedication to extracurriculars, well rounded education, etc. You will NOT want to go in there with nothing to talk about except college and how you volunteered at a free clinic one time. If you go in there with a 4.0/30+ and act like you are a shoe in you will or should fail.

I was pleasantly surprised this year by how much the adcoms really do care to find passionate and dedicated medical students and dont just focus on numbers. If you are passionate for medicine and work hard to prove it you will be noticed.

I have a fear of the MCAT. I feel like it's such a crucial, life-or-death exam in one's aspirations that it's almost phobia-inducing. The fear that you aren't going to do well. I recently found out that someone whom I found extremely intelligent didn't even hit 30. And how am I suppose to? I don't think I could. I did poorly on my SATs and I probably don't have a high IQ. In actuality, I won't be able to score 35+ or even 30+. Where's my hope?

Well you can take it more than once....plus if you know you bombed it you can void your score immediately afterwards and it's as if you never took it (doesn't show up on your record). It's not like the USMLE where you can only take it once (as long as you pass which most everybody does) and a substandard score relegates you to 30+ years of toil in family med or psychiatry.

Also, it's common to be anxious leading up to the exam and for the first few minutes during the exam but after that you settle into a groove and it's just like taking any other test. If you're still feeling extremely scared you might want to try some stress reduction/relaxation exercises or go talk to a mental health professional about it.

So basically if you study hard and take your time to actually prepare for the MCAT, you can well sore above a 30. Scoring above 35 is what? Luck and just being ridiculously smart?

So basically if you study hard and take your time to actually prepare for the MCAT, you can well sore above a 30. Scoring above 35 is what? Luck and just being ridiculously smart?

partially. Keep in mind that its curved, and often the difference between a 12 and a 14 in a section is 2-3 questions. So guessing correctly on a few more can have a major impact once you hit a certain area.

partially. Keep in mind that its curved, and often the difference between a 12 and a 14 in a section is 2-3 questions. So guessing correctly on a few more can have a major impact once you hit a certain area.

Hmmm....I'm just trying to figure out at what point studying the bejeezus out of this thingdoes it become pointless. I have absolutely no confidence in myself and I'd rather study for like ever on this thing...
Major anxiety much?

Hmmm....I'm just trying to figure out at what point studying the bejeezus out of this thingdoes it become pointless. I have absolutely no confidence in myself and I'd rather study for like ever on this thing...
Major anxiety much?

Studying forever will not get you any where but a dead end. The MCAT is also about strategy, timing and honestly luck. There have been countless times where on all of the sections especially the VR I would nail it down to the last 2 choices well then it would either end up being a hit or miss. Granted I didn't score well according to SDN standard, I can assure you the test makers do a very good job when making the MCAT. It's designed to test your ability to apply your knowledge to new/odd/ at times off the wall situations so I truly believe studying "for like ever" will not be as effective as practice. I personally dedicated the last 2 weeks prior to my exam on practice and the rest of the time on studying the material. If I could reverse back in time I would have spent a good 3-4 weeks with thorough practice and review every single detail. After a lot of practice you start to build an intuition and I think that's key to scoring high. Again this is all just my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Studying forever will not get you any where but a dead end. The MCAT is also about strategy, timing and honestly luck. There have been countless times where on all of the sections especially the VR I would nail it down to the last 2 choices well then it would either end up being a hit or miss. Granted I didn't score well according to SDN standard, I can assure you the test makers do a very good job when making the MCAT. It's designed to test your ability to apply your knowledge to new/odd/ at times off the wall situations so I truly believe studying "for like ever" will not be as effective as practice. I personally dedicated the last 2 weeks prior to my exam on practice and the rest of the time on studying the material. If I could reverse back in time I would have spent a good 3-4 weeks with thorough practice and review every single detail. After a lot of practice you start to build an intuition and I think that's key to scoring high. Again this is all just my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

There are 8 AAMC full length practice MCATs. You should aim to take under test-like conditions and thoroughly review them all before your MCAT date. This does several things for you. It's good practice. It helps you work out some practical and logistical issues (how much caffeine should you have? What's a good breakfast to have in the morning? Does stretching during breaks help? Mediation? etc), helps you become comfortable with the structure and pacing of the exam, and gives you guidance as to where you need to focus your reviewing.

Guiding your reviewing is particularly valuable earlier in your preparations, so you don't want to leave all of the practice exams until the very end. I'd recommend that you take a practice exam every month or so for several practice exams in the lead up to your actual test date. After taking each practice exam, thoroughly review it, and make a detailed list of why you got each problem wrong. Some will be simple errors or mistakes (which you will want to learn to eliminate), and some will be due to gaps in the knowledge base you should have.

Finding these gaps tells you what you need to study. Maybe magnetism and the cell cycle are weak points, but your knowledge of projectile motion and transition metal chemistry is more than sufficient for the MCAT's purposes. Once you find this out from taking several practice tests, you can use your time to study more effectively.

In the final several weeks (when you're hopefully devoting your full time efforts to studying for the MCAT), you should be taking a FL exam every several days. At this point, you won't have as much time to devote to lengthy review of weak subjects, but you'll still want to do as much as possible. Don't ever take a FL two days in a row - you'll be far too fried for that to be effective. In the final run up, a reasonable schedule is to take a FL every second or third day, using the other days for thorough review and targeted studying of specific weak topics.

Take the last day or two before your exam completely off. Go to the zoo, hit the beach, watch a couple mindless movies, or borrow a friend's dog and take him hiking in the park. You'll want your brain to be relaxed and well rested when you walk into the testing center.

I thought getting a 30+ on the MCAT was ridiculously difficult without significant preparation. I took the MCAT twice, getting a 29 on the first try. Drats! Then, I put my thinking cap on, readied a supply of 5 hour energy drinks, and studied my booty off, and voila - a 30+ score.

Driver's permit (computer based) - Fail
MCAT - 35

Breaking 35 on the MCAT is not unreasonably difficult (certainly does not require luck). You just need to understand the basic science and be able to think on your feet.

What about 29L??
Provided well above avg EC(not a rockstar status or anything) and great GPA (3.8>)...

Most schools want to see high academic achievement/potential but even more so strong character and passion for medicine. This is evidenced by HANDS ON healthcare experience, long term dedication to extracurriculars, well rounded education, etc. You will NOT want to go in there with nothing to talk about except college and how you volunteered at a free clinic one time. If you go in there with a 4.0/30+ and act like you are a shoe in you will or should fail.

This always bugs me, it's shoo-in!

I think scoring at the median of matriculants (32) is a good score.

My goal! :)

I didn't find it that hard. 33 on first try but I studied a decent bit. Not a science major either.

Only on SDN is it easy to make an 80th percentile score on one of the most difficult pre-professional tests in existence.