What is a good place to learn about lab tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My biochem professor told us he is planning on putting lab tests on his next exam, so we have to get used to reading it. Unfortunately, his notes on the subjects is very messy and disorganized.

Is there a better and more easily accessible resource you guys recommend for learning lab results?

Members don't see this ad.

He'd bloody well give normals!
Second the labtestsonline website.

My biochem professor told us he is planning on putting lab tests on his next exam, so we have to get used to reading it. Unfortunately, his notes on the subjects is very messy and disorganized.

Is there a better and more easily accessible resource you guys recommend for learning lab results?

Members don't see this ad :)

Right, I mean you'll learn normal values kinda by the end of first year. But giving lab values without normals to first years is just cruel.

COMLEX now provides normal lab values on the exam so my school has now adopted the same policy. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the norm.

Right, I mean you'll learn normal values kinda by the end of first year. But giving lab values without normals to first years is just cruel.

My school didn't always provide normals, but if they didn't, the abnormal was dramatic enough that you could figure out what was going on (a potassium of 1.5 or 7.5, not 3.1). I don't think we were expected to do even that this early in first semester, though.

I don't know if he'll really give the normal values. I'll ask him next time in lecture if that's the case, especially since COMLEX does give out the normal lab values.

Also, I'll check out labtest online.

Dr. Lee?

Reactions: 1 user
BIG fan of mosbys

That said, knowing the lab is one thing, interpreting is another. No lab (or rarely, rather) lives in isolation. I'm sure your test will be more clinically focused,

That said, if you don't have BRS biochem, I would pick up a copy. Depending on your test format, you may find it more helpful

BIG fan of mosbys

That said, knowing the lab is one thing, interpreting is another. No lab (or rarely, rather) lives in isolation. I'm sure your test will be more clinically focused,

That said, if you don't have BRS biochem, I would pick up a copy. Depending on your test format, you may find it more helpful

I have BRS biochem. In fact, I think I have all the biochem related books for this class.

So, my school used LaPosada which I looked through at the time and found useless. I had been in practice about 2 years when I found this little gem and have a copy on my desk and use it regularly in clinical practice -- Bakerman's ABC's of Interpretive Laboratory Data by Seymour Bakerman, MD, PhD as revised by Paul Bakerman, MD and Paul Strausbauch, MD, PhD --- love it, love it, love it. Wish they'd made this one mandatory during med school.

So, my school used LaPosada which I looked through at the time and found useless. I had been in practice about 2 years when I found this little gem and have a copy on my desk and use it regularly in clinical practice -- Bakerman's ABC's of Interpretive Laboratory Data by Seymour Bakerman, MD, PhD as revised by Paul Bakerman, MD and Paul Strausbauch, MD, PhD --- love it, love it, love it. Wish they'd made this one mandatory during med school.

Arigatou for mentioning that. I'll look into it.