Medical What is a good plan of action - Canadian with low GPA, high MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian resident in British Columbia, Canada, graduated April 2020 with my B.Sc.

- GPA 3.23, no upward or downward trend
- MCAT: second and latest test score is 523 (131/130/130/132)
- 140 hours volunteering with local police (long-story), no reference letters
- 6.5 hours volunteering at blood-donation centre
- 72 hours and increasing volunteer as a lab tech (chemistry), which will soon turn into a paid employment position around September (reference letter possible
- 3 reference letters, all from professors or TA's (doing their masters).

Already applied to Brown Alpert, Georgetown, SUNY Upstate, Pritzker, Tulane, UBC, and Atlantic Bridge.
May still apply to OMSAS in Canada (is this worth it?).
I know my chances are slim this cycle, so I'm preparing for the next one

I know DO schools exists, but I lack any physician's recommendation letter (and most DO schools need one) and with Covid going on, it will be hard to shadow (should I still ask around?)

I want to study medicine in a way that would get me into, or back into, Canada, though I understand this may mean doing studies and residency elsewhere. I am interested in family, emergency, and maybe even some of the more lengthy specialties (my hearts not set on one... yet)

BASICALLY, I am looking for opinions on what would be my best plan over next 1-2 years to become a doctor?
Are you able to do a DIY post bac? If you can get your GPA up with that MCAT you should have a pretty good shot!

Members don't see this ad.

As I'm living in Canada, I don't have any real post-bacc's available to me. And I'm not too keen on moving to US just for a post-bac (and possible SMP)

I have considered doing a Master's in Canada, and could probably achieve a good 3.4-3.5 GPA, perhaps more. The difficulty is that I'm not too research-keen (I can do research and experimentation, but I have no interests that would fuel a research-project)

(And I haven't looked too much into a second undergrad).

Do you an opinion as to whether a Master's would help me and what I would have to do with one in order to strengthen my application?

The idea is to take courses and ace them. If you can do that in a masters I think that would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.