What is a good practice MCAT score if you haven't finish your courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss155

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering what is a good or normal score one should have on the practice MCAT Kaplan if they have not completed biology 2, physics 2, organic 1 and 2. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean low, mid, or high 20's? The average for most people is high 20's, with MCAT prep. Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say low, since practice exams are usually harder than actual tests, but im only speculating.

hmmm, i am definitely wondering about this, too. i have taken two practice tests - both in the mid-20s. i have everything done except Orgo I and II and am in Orgo I right now.

originally i was happy with the scores, but i was just thinking what if i don't do any better? that's fine for starting i would say, but then what do i do to improve? i have never put any effort into a standardized test before in my life, so this is kind of new.

but yeah, i would say anything in the mid-20s or higher is good for a practice test.

what does everyone else think?

and how many points "harder" is the practice test from a real one? like how would you correlate a practice test with a real one if they specifically make it so you get a lower score on the practice one?

why would you even worry about your score if you havent taken those classes?? it doesnt mean anything...unless of course you plan to take the mcat without those classes!

It's not uncommon to improve 10+ points between Princeton/Kaplan diagnostics and the real thing. Do keep in mind, however, that AAMC practice tests 1-6 (or whatever the numbers are) are good indicators of MCAT performance. So try to make sure you're scoring what you want on these particular tests.

I scored in the low 20's for all the Princeton diagnostics, low to mid 30's on the AAMC practices, and 36 on the MCAT.

Not having finished some of the vourses obviously lowers performance, so make sure you know all the material by April.

Good Luck!

the prep classes follow a law of diminishing returns i think. the higher you start, the less you're gonna improve. because it gets harder to improve your score the higher up you get. most of my friends scored low 20s on diagnostic and around 30 on the real deal.

as for the original poster, i'd say mid 20s. remember, the average person who matriculates has around a 30, and your verbal and physical scores should be decent since you've had all the classes you'll need for that.

If you're trying to use your current score to predict how much you can improve and hence your actual MCAT score, DON'T do that. It may either give you false hope or hurt your confidence.

Just focus on increasing your score and stop worrying about the # of typical point increase.

You should be focuses on your classes more then the MCAT if you haven't completed half of the courses.

Originally posted by Miss155
Hi

I was wondering what is a good or normal score one should have on the practice MCAT Kaplan if they have not completed biology 2, physics 2, organic 1 and 2. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

I didn't take any bio before taking the MCAT but I did take 6 Kaplan tests ad 1 AAMC test. I scored 26-37 on the practice exams and a 33 on the real thing. I found my experience to be pretty random. My first 3 tests showed consistent improvement but my last 4 tests were all over the place. There was no trend whatsoever (last 4 exams) so I'm pretty baffled as to what it all means. I think it is definitely possible to do 30+ without all those courses. I'm taking biology 2 now and don't believe that it would have helped me on the MCAT. Organic 1 and 2 would definitely be helpful but it's something you can learn on your own if you have a thorough understanding of general chemistry. Although orgo has a lot to do with memorization, there's usually a reason for why reactions proceed as they do and if you have intuition about electron density (from a strong gen chem understanding), you'll be fine. It'll be difficult but you'll be ok. Good luck.

I took my first MCAT diag without taking Orgo II or Physics II and scored a 23. By the end of prep (and being 2/3 through both classes) I scored a 35 on the last diag and a 32 on the real thing.