What is a good pre-med path for undergrad other than biological sciences?

the shretiology

5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi, I want to go into pre-med at my university and was going through biological sciences, but I want something that will set me apart from the other applicants in med school. Does anyone know what medical schools may be looking for in a future M.D.? I heard somewhere that humanities is something that is helpful. Any thoughts?

NightWindDriftr

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2010
Status
Major in something you like. As long as you hit all the prereqs, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Taking upper division bios looks nice regardless of major. I think you'll have stronger opportunities to set yourself apart outside the classroom through extracurriculars.

Beandog

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Major in something you like. As long as you hit all the prereqs, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Taking upper division bios looks nice regardless of major. I think you'll have stronger opportunities to set yourself apart outside the classroom through extracurriculars.
This right here.
Getting all your prereqs with good grades and solid MCAT will mean a whole lot more than whatever your major is.. Choose something you like.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Major in whatever you like the most, and do well. That's what sets you apart.

We like displays of altruism and humanism too.

Hi, I want to go into pre-med at my university and was going through biological sciences, but I want something that will set me apart from the other applicants in med school. Does anyone know what medical schools may be looking for in a future M.D.? I heard somewhere that humanities is something that is helpful. Any thoughts?