What is a good STEP 2 'percentage correct' in UWORLD? Is STEP 2 much easier than STEP 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxilla54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - student from the UK here. Our medical question banks are fairly dismal compared to the US offerings (though much cheaper). I took the STEP2 CK practice paper and enjoyed it - I plan to adopt your UWORLD instead. Question quality is comparatively amazing.
I am wondering what is a good percentage score? E.g. for the top 10% of scorers, how many questions would you be dropping out of 100?

I did a quick google search and came across this - USMLE SCORE CORRELATION
I had heard that it is very difficult to get 260+ - so surely the 78% UWORLD correlation seems too low?
Perhaps this table is for STEP1 which I would then presume is much more difficult? Or perhaps many people use UWORLD as a learning tool and this table doesn't take it into account (in which case it is a pretty poor table). Nb: I am very near the end of my studies rather than the beginning.

Members don't see this ad.

UW Questions are notoriously difficult, hence the 78% correlating to a 260+. But, their explanations of the correct and wrong answer choices are second to none. UW scores are tricky and a little tea leaf-ish, as there is a variation in how people do them (to prep for clerkship exams, all during dedicated, completing the questions 1-2 times). Overall, I think it's a great resource and worth the money. Feel free to DM if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 users
UW Questions are notoriously difficult, hence the 78% correlating to a 260+. But, their explanations of the correct and wrong answer choices are second to none. UW scores are tricky and a little tea leaf-ish, as there is a variation in how people do them (to prep for clerkship exams, all during dedicated, completing the questions 1-2 times). Overall, I think it's a great resource and worth the money. Feel free to DM if you have any other questions.

Thank you - that is very helpful to know. I think I was dealing with a small sample size initially, so scored very highly (hence my query), but since then I have done a few more specimen UWorld questions and indeed some are quite tricky. It probably deserves a subscription.

I appreciate the answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I very much doubt this correlation holds anymore. I think ~80% correct is probably pretty close to a 250 now? For step 1 at least. There's no way a 78% correlates to 260+ anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
I very much doubt this correlation holds anymore. I think ~80% correct is probably pretty close to a 250 now? For step 1 at least. There's no way a 78% correlates to 260+ anymore.

Remember the scale is different for Step 2.

Reactions: 2 users
imo uworld really doesn't reflect shelf exams well. idk about step 2 tho

81% here and over 260 on CK

• Love
Reactions: 1 user