What is a great excuse for a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takins33613

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what would be a good excuse for a low Science/math GPA (2.6) and a low overall GPA (3.0) and how do you suggest I supplement my application to present myself as a better candidate. I am applying this fall. Also, I cannot afford a Kaplan course or anything of that sort. Could you please suggest a way to study for the PCAT? My school of choice is UF? May I get some tips on how to increase my chances? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering what would be a good excuse for a low Science/math GPA (2.6) and a low overall GPA (3.0) and how do you suggest I supplement my application to present myself as a better candidate. I am applying this fall. Also, I cannot afford a Kaplan course or anything of that sort. Could you please suggest a way to study for the PCAT? My school of choice is UF? May I get some tips on how to increase my chances? Thank you very much.

Only you can answer that question. What was going on during your life during that time? Were you working fulltime and didn't have enough time to study? Any unusual situation? Don't BS your personal statment by coming up with excuses.

To increase your chances, do well on your pcats and try to get experience workin at a pharmacy.

You need to do as well on the PCAT as you possibly can. Also, try to very well at your interview. Present yourself as a respectable, well mannered gentleman and do your damest to answer to have the right answers for their questions. :cool: Complete all of your prerequisites prior to application if you can! If your really hell bent on becoming a PharmD, there are a few places to apply to that aren't just schools of pharmacy they are colleges of pharmacy. The Saint Louis College of Pharmacy is so large that it can literally accept every qualified applicant that applies. The catch-it is a private college and the tuition is exhorbant:eek:

Good luck my friend,

Michael James

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with CaliRX on how u shouldnt come up with any excuses. Using excuses or BS-ing doesnt strengthen ur application any. As far as the PCATS go i would suggest buying the Kaplan prep book at Barnes and Nobles or perhaps online. I compared the books that Kaplan gives out in their classes and the one they have for the general public to buy and they were identical as far I could see. Along with studying this book i would try to find some practice test, and i've seen them offered online and in bookstores. I hope this information helps and the best of luck to you.

If you get an interview, go in there and do your best Carlos Mencia impression and just keep saying "DEEDEEDEE." That would explain everything.

Just kidding.

The best excuse is no excuse at all. Explain why your GPA is low and then supplement that with a sincere desire to go to pharmacy school. Do well on your PCAT to prove that you're able to handle the material. I don't know why you have a low GPA, but extenuating circumstances are certainly considered by adcoms. Schools aren't necessarily looking for "perfect" candidates because no matter how well or poorly somebody has done in the past, you can't determine how well they will do in the future. Oftentimes the top graduates from an institution are those who, at least on paper, appear to be somewhat less than perfect. Your GPA won't kill you, but you will have to compensate in other areas to show any adcom that you are sincere and capable of graduating from their school and becoming successful.

Above all....Never, never lie to an adcom. I mention this because you seem to be hunting for an excuse to give. Whatever ideas you get from this site will not be the truth and your bluff will stand a good chance of being called out by an adcom.

If you get an interview, go in there and do your best Carlos Mencia impression and just keep saying "DEEDEEDEE." That would explain everything.

Just kidding.

The best part is how you felt the need to express you were kidding ;)

As a previous poster already stated - only you can answer that question. It sounds like you already understand why it happened - but communicating the truth is less appealing than an excellent reason.

I would argue that you be honest and sincere. Making up excuses / reasons for something never looks good - and often can be seen clearly for what it is.

~above~

UF has a high average PCAT, so you need to do well to fall within their middle 50% of their applicant pool.

I had a relatively low GPA in undergrad (3.4) that had been declining from 3.65 for about two years now. However, my 94 PCAT, my research experience, my good interview skills, my honesty regarding the pharmacy profession during my interviews, and my various volunteer experiences compensated enough to earn three acceptances. Your GPA is lower, but I do read enough testimonies on SDN from people like you to know that it isn't impossible to get into pharmacy school with a 3.0. It'll be tougher of course, but not impossible.

UF has a high average PCAT, so you need to do well to fall within their middle 50% of their applicant pool.

I had a relatively low GPA in undergrad (3.4) that had been declining from 3.65 for about two years now. However, my 94 PCAT, my research experience, my good interview skills, my honesty regarding the pharmacy profession during my interviews, and my various volunteer experiences compensated enough to earn three acceptances. Your GPA is lower, but I do read enough testimonies on SDN from people like you to know that it isn't impossible to get into pharmacy school with a 3.0. It'll be tougher of course, but not impossible.

Good advice-good support-good- post-it helps

Only thing I can contribute beyond what has already been said applies to PCAT. SDN is having test prep week May21-May25 Check out the PCAT vendors. See what they have. There should be discounts from the vendors that week and if you contribute and you're lucky, you may end up with free stuff to use.

i just want to say that i am in the same boat (2.7 science/math and 3.1 cumilative). i am counting on prayer, my pcat score (89), my e.c.'s, the the summer i was a red cross volunteer at a pharmacy to help me get in to a school

leoproductionz was in the exact same situation as I was last year so I wish him much success. As for school of choice, I think that the lower stats you have, the lesser likely you should even have a school of choice.

Do well on your PCAT (practice the timing; that screws up a lot of people) and apply to A LOT OF SCHOOLS. Go to whatever school that will accept you. If next year, you do get accepted to more than one school that you applied for, then you can think about school of choice.

The best excuse is no excuse at all. Explain why your GPA is low and then supplement that with a sincere desire to go to pharmacy school. Do well on your PCAT to prove that you're able to handle the material. I don't know why you have a low GPA, but extenuating circumstances are certainly considered by adcoms. Schools aren't necessarily looking for "perfect" candidates because no matter how well or poorly somebody has done in the past, you can't determine how well they will do in the future. Oftentimes the top graduates from an institution are those who, at least on paper, appear to be somewhat less than perfect. Your GPA won't kill you, but you will have to compensate in other areas to show any adcom that you are sincere and capable of graduating from their school and becoming successful.

Above all....Never, never lie to an adcom. I mention this because you seem to be hunting for an excuse to give. Whatever ideas you get from this site will not be the truth and your bluff will stand a good chance of being called out by an adcom.
+infinity
i got accepted with a low science GPA (2.99) but I had a high PCAT and good experience... you're going to need to really shine through here...study test prep books (i used barrons) and just review your old class notes. remember, PCAT is just a review test. Make sure your LORs are stellar as well. good luck!

and yes, go with whatever school accepts you if your GPA is at or below a 3.0. It's a miracle if you can GET a school of choice. Remember, a degree is a degree is a degree

leoproductionz was in the exact same situation as I was last year so I wish him much success. As for school of choice, I think that the lower stats you have, the lesser likely you should even have a school of choice.

Do well on your PCAT (practice the timing; that screws up a lot of people) and apply to A LOT OF SCHOOLS. Go to whatever school that will accept you. If next year, you do get accepted to more than one school that you applied for, then you can think about school of choice.

lol, i'm a girl.

i always feel depressed every time i go on PharmCAS because i know my chances are not that great and it will just suck not to get in anywhere. i have not decided what to do yet if i don't get in anywhere. my mom says she has a good feeling about it, but i wish i could have that same positive mind, it's just that when you come read this message board and then you see how competitive everything is, it's discouraging.

the hardest part is I am use to always excelling and getting what i want and there are so many people rooting for me. i would feel like i let them down. so many people invested so much to help me get to where i am today. the conversations i recently had with this one pharmacist did not help me either, she made me want to get into the profession even more.

its even more discouraging when you read that the average students who dont get accepted have a science GPA of 2.94 and overall GPA of 3.10. My GPA is jUST that.

hello daoismz,

i was wondering if you or anyone here knows if it looks bad that we apply to a lot of schools at the same time (is that information available for pharm schools you are applying to on pharmCAS)? would they ever ask things like how many schools you have applied to and why when you go to the interviews? if they do, what should we reply (just be honest about the situation that we want to increase our chances?)

thank you =)

best excuse would be sexual exhaustion

i'll donate a dollar to this forum if someone puts that. hahaha

hello daoismz,

i was wondering if you or anyone here knows if it looks bad that we apply to a lot of schools at the same time (is that information available for pharm schools you are applying to on pharmCAS)? would they ever ask things like how many schools you have applied to and why when you go to the interviews? if they do, what should we reply (just be honest about the situation that we want to increase our chances?)

thank you =)

Last I read the average number of applications per student was somewhere between 4-6 (don't remember exactly) Essentially, the schools know students are applying to multiple schools. It's not really important to them how many or which ones. They're just looking for the best fit for their school. For a really good application they know there's a good chance they will have to compete with other schools. That's why all the schools I applied to last year were interviewing ~4 students for every spot they planned to fill. I doubt you'd ever be asked how many schools you're applying to or which ones they are. If you were asked, I'd just give a generic answer(A few, the locals, here and there), unless you think they really want specifics.

Last I read the average number of applications per student was somewhere between 4-6 (don't remember exactly) Essentially, the schools know students are applying to multiple schools. It's not really important to them how many or which ones. They're just looking for the best fit for their school. For a really good application they know there's a good chance they will have to compete with other schools. That's why all the schools I applied to last year were interviewing ~4 students for every spot they planned to fill. I doubt you'd ever be asked how many schools you're applying to or which ones they are. If you were asked, I'd just give a generic answer(A few, the locals, here and there), unless you think they really want specifics.

thank you for answering my posts, you have been kind and helpful =)