What is a low verbal score on the new mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 126 a low verbal mcat score? Would some schools screen out the applicant for that score?

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian ones probably will. For US schools you are ok, as long as your total score is good. Of course we are not talking about top 3 schools.

Reactions: 1 user
It is little above average, but depends on the school you're applying to. According to the AAMC, MCAT average for verbal between January 2012 - September 2014 is 8.1 (~ 125)

Last edited:
Is 126 a low verbal mcat score? Would some schools screen out the applicant for that score?

For US schools its a non issue 59th-70th percentile, in the 9 range on the old exam. I know gyngyn has said in the past he doesn't know of a single school that screens out a 9 subsection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
126 is a decent score and won't get you screened. 123 and below is the range where you would need to worry about that.

Here's a chart that might be useful in terms of percentage correct, old and new MCAT scores, and raw score.

Score-Table.jpg

Here's a chart that might be useful in terms of percentage correct, old and new MCAT scores, and raw score.

Score-Table.jpg

This table is not accurate. Standard deviations for section scores have increased, so both high and low scores are now more common. Therefore you can't just do a one-to-one conversion like this.

See official percentile ranks here:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7a4/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...-4aa0-90cb-70184be8c8b8/percentilenewmcat.pdf

@efle compiled a convenient comparison table from the above two sources:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

Reactions: 1 users

Score-Table.jpg
I think this table is pretty inaccurate. 1) those aren't the right new to old equivalencies and 2) we do not yet have any data on the percentage correct / raw score per each New MCAT number.

Stick to this

MA7Md6S.png

This was just intended as a rough estimate based on the limitted information the AAMC had released as of a few months ago. It's something I put together quickly last spring, so I guess I'll update it. Sorry to contribute any confusion. I'll edit the post and put up an updated version soon. The percentages correct are based on the range correct from the previous percentile scales. Again they're only estimates, but can be useful to have a sense of where you're at.

This was just intended as a rough estimate based on the limitted information the AAMC had released as of a few months ago. It's something I put together quickly last spring, so I guess I'll update it. Sorry to contribute any confusion. I'll edit the post and put up an updated version soon. The percentages correct are based on the range correct from the previous percentile scales. Again they're only estimates, but can be useful to have a sense of where you're at.
The percent correct per percentile has likely changed for the new test

No problem, I understand it's just calculated guesswork at this point. We should have better data once the official test is released this fall. Thank you for your input.

n=1 but I have a friend who interviewed at Case Western and WashU with a 126 in verbal. Obviously his 126 isn't holding him back.