What is a minimum and a Good MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a minimum score to get into one of the easy schools and what is a Good score for most average schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Easy medical school? I believe some have lower admission standards, but I don't know if they are necessarily, "easier." BUT, if you mean which have lower admission standards, it really depends on your state of residence.

What is a minimum score to get into one of the easy schools and what is a Good score for most average schools?

Thanks

There really is no "minimum." You can pretty much rule out anything below a 20, but other than that, your GPA, EC's, state of residence, ethnicity, and other factors play into your acceptance, not just the MCAT score.

Buy the MSAR online. It's $15 well spent, and it will give you all the information you could ever want about every medical school, including average/90th percentile/10th percentile scores.

If you have a state school that loves you because you're a resident of the state, that's your best bet.

What up Idaho and New Mexico... I wish... haha

I would say a 27 is the minimum for MD schools. Although some people do get in with lower, they've cured breast cancer though, and are super flexible.

As much as people say, a 29 is not that bad. But if you hit a 30-32 range, and you have a 3.5-3.6, with good ECs. You're bound to get an interview somewhere if you apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Worthless question. You could have a 2.1 and the minimum score to get into an "easy school" would be close to high 30s. Or you could have a 4.0 and the minimum score to get into an "easy school" would be 28+ ? So you really have to emphasize other portions of the application. GPA, LORs, ECs, Personal statement, Interview so many different aspects. If you bombed all those aspects I'm pretty sure the minimum score would exceed 45, I hope you get the point......

^Jeez mate, it's not a WORTHLESS question: it might overlook a few things but your adjective there is as negative as an obvious verbal answer choice trap =P . But you make a good point, it depends on your other factors. If I had to answer his question I would say 30. This is because the average MCAT score for accepted med school students is a 31-32 and a 30 is a lot better to a 29 compared to a 31 being compared to a 30. But it's not a minimum by any means. To put it in better context, take your GPA and multiply it by 10 and add that to your MCAT score. A REALLY good number would be if it added up to a 70.

^Jeez mate, it's not a WORTHLESS question: it might overlook a few things but your adjective there is as negative as an obvious verbal answer choice trap =P . But you make a good point, it depends on your other factors. If I had to answer his question I would say 30. This is because the average MCAT score for accepted med school students is a 31-32 and a 30 is a lot better to a 29 compared to a 31 being compared to a 30. But it's not a minimum by any means. To put it in better context, take your GPA and multiply it by 10 and add that to your MCAT score. A REALLY good number would be if it added up to a 70.

I still think when a "Pre-Pharmacy, 2+ year member" asks such a question it is WORTHLESS.