What is a research poster and where do you present it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted947805

A lot of people keep saying that a research poster is very beneficial in making your application unique. Can someone please explain me what a research poster is, what it should look like (in general), and where I can present it?

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people keep saying that a research poster is very beneficial in making your application unique. Can someone please explain me what a research poster is, what it should look like (in general), and where I can present it?

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First get into a research lab and work on a project. Once you get some sort of results in the lab you can apply to present it at a conference (which conference specifically will differ depending on your lab). Usually your institution will offer travel funds to present there so ask your research mentors about that.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Research poster wont make your application "unique" but it does show you been exposed to the research method.
2. A research poster is a mini outline of your research findings.
3. Just google "research posters"
4. For presentations talk to your PI. Usually your school has a summer poster presenation day.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Research poster wont make your application "unique" but it does show you been exposed to the research method.
2. A research poster is a mini outline of your research findings.
3. Just google "research posters"
4. For presentations talk to your PI. Usually your school has a summer poster presenation day.

Adding to number 4, you want to have your work at a NATIONAL conference. Presenting st a school conference is good but ideally present at a national conference. A lot of these presentations are basically standing there with a bunch of other presenters, someone may walk up to you and ask about your research ...

It just depends.

Also, yeah it won’t make your app look “unique” but definitely makes your app look great. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Also, yeah it won’t make your app look “unique” but definitely makes your app look great. Good luck!

I would argue that presenting at a national conference is pretty unique. As far as I can tell, few undergraduates have them -- even fewer than publications because the most common way for undergraduates to get published is to do a few months of bench work/clinical data grabbing for their PI to get published as a late author. Actually presenting at a national conference means you did most/all of the work at a high level.

While any publication may be worth more in the eyes of adcoms, I just find it more rare that an undergraduate presents at a national conference, and might draw the attention of one or more faculty members on the committee who are in that field.

Regarding OP, a presentation is beneficial because it demonstrates some quantifiable output to your research. You would need to contact faculty at your institution about doing research with them first, and see if you can spin a part of your project into its own poster.

Last edited:
I would argue that presenting at a national conference is pretty unique. As far as I can tell, few undergraduates have them -- even fewer than publications because the most common way for undergraduates to get published is to do a few months of bench work/clinical data grabbing for their PI to get published as a late author. Actually presenting at a national conference means you did most/all of the work at a high level.

While any publication may be worth more in the eyes of adcoms, I just find it more rare that an undergraduate presents at a national conference, and might draw the attention of one or more faculty members on the committee who are in that field.

Regarding OP, a presentation is beneficial because it demonstrates some quantifiable output to your research. You would need to contact faculty at your institution about doing research with them first, and see if you can spin a part of your project into its own poster.

Really? That’s better for me. Would ACS count as a national conference?

Also, I may be getting a pub in a year too...