What is a safe GPA for admission to optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amanda C

undergrad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost a junior and right now my GPA is at a 3.25. I'm trying hard to raise it and pretty much know I can. But just in case I can't raise it more than around a 3.3 - 3.4, would that be ok? What range is safe?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. People have gotten in with those GPAs.

Unfortunately, you could be doing a lot worse and still get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
really? Why aren't the standards higher than that?

I know there are a lot of people on here that think a GPA requirement should be met, but it's more than just your grades... they also look at your OAT, extracurriculars, etc. Yes, it's important to make good grades during undergrad, I'm not saying it isn't. However, a 3.0 is a B average and I don't think that's low enough for people to say "you shouldn't have gotten in". I got in with a 3.1, but without the other factors I probably wouldn't have. I am well aware that my GPA is below average for most OD schools.

really? Why aren't the standards higher than that?

You tell me. No one seems to think there should be any GPA standard. It seems to be good enough to "work hard" and have some sob story to explain your crappy grades.

Reactions: 1 user
You tell me. No one seems to think there should be any GPA standard. It seems to be good enough to "work hard" and have some sob story to explain your crappy grades.

Interesting...

The average GPA for most optometry schools is usually somewhere around 3.40 or higher; therefore, some enter with 4.0s while others get in 3.0s. I personally got in with a 3.26, which is misleading in that my GPA for my first three years was 2.4 while my last three years was around 3.68. I also participated in several volunteer organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc. which is important, I think, because it demonstrates your committment to your community.

...so there are many factors that are taken into consideration.

Folks, we are beating this issue to the ground. Optometry school in my opinion is harder to get into than dental, chiropractic, podiatry, pharmacy, and most likely on the same level as osteopathic. It's not as difficult as getting into med school. Safe range? Solid GPA 3.2 and above I would say, commitment and enthusiam to the profession and some places might ask you about financing $$$$.
Folks, admission to OD school isn't impossible. Let's not flatter ourselves. We are optometrists not retinal surgeons.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally got in with a 3.26, which is misleading in that my GPA for my first three years was 2.4 while my last three years was around 3.68. .

thats one long undergrad education

Well, what can I say? I had a good time! I also managed to get two degrees while I was there, which comes out to average one degree every three years, so I like to think that I was actually working at an accelerated pace as compared to everybody else! =D. Lol

I dont' have a high gpa but a lot of differnt type of internships (since I was 15). Will it help if I get work on a masters degree. Will they look at that gpa vs. my undergrad?

I dont' have a high gpa but a lot of differnt type of internships (since I was 15). Will it help if I get work on a masters degree. Will they look at that gpa vs. my undergrad?

Depends on what your GPA is....if you have a 2.5, and a masters i doubt you will get in, just my opinion. If you have like a 2.9, and show that you are excelling in your masters program, maybe yeah.

Anyways, if your GPA is low, you should take science classes to boost up, like a Post-Bacc or something.

I'm also wondering this too.

I have a 3.5something overall, but my science GPA is around a 3.2. My health counselor assures me that these stats are fine & that I just need to do well on the OAT. Anyone agree or disagree?

I'm also wondering this too.

I have a 3.5something overall, but my science GPA is around a 3.2. My health counselor assures me that these stats are fine & that I just need to do well on the OAT. Anyone agree or disagree?

I think your sGPA is on the lower side, but i do think that with great OATs (lets say 350+) you can get interviewed and even accepted to everywhere you apply. But to be "safe" you would need high OATs to make sure you are accepted somewhere...ofcourse if you apply to schools that have higher stats than average and put a lot of emphasis on OAT scores (like SUNY) but, you may not be accepted with a certain (lower) OAT score and your sGPA.

EyEnStein 07, "i think your gpa is on the lower side?" 3.5 and 3.2 science is more than competitive for admission to OD school. OAT scores even if they are average at best he should gain admission. Stick to what you know best and stop being a Mister know it all. you sound foolish bro.

EyEnStein 07, "i think your gpa is on the lower side?" 3.5 and 3.2 science is more than competitive for admission to OD school. OAT scores even if they are average at best he should gain admission. Stick to what you know best and stop being a Mister know it all. you sound foolish bro.

I'm almost a junior and right now my GPA is at a 3.25. I'm trying hard to raise it and pretty much know I can. But just in case I can't raise it more than around a 3.3 - 3.4, would that be ok? What range is safe?

IMO, schools do not care about your GPA. They only care about two things.

1) Will this student regardless of GPA pass the national boards? Schools have to accept students that can successfully pass this test for the school to retain its reputation.

2) The schools care about $$ and filling as many open spots as they can allow. Schools are big business now, and the cost of tuition has sky rocketed. Look at the income of OD's and some still make what they did 10 years ago. Schools raise tuition during good and bad times economically.

Ryan-eyeball............could not have agreed more with you. You said it as it is. Thank you.

Sorry for sounding so foolish, ill stay in my little corner now.

Anyways to OP, Here is where you can find the class profile for the entering 2009 students.
http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3449

if anyone has read what i even wrote...i said you will probably gain admission and be interviewed, your 3.2 gpa, might be a little low on the science said, but your average GPA is fine. OP said they want to be "safe"...its news to me if someone being safe for a school means they are exactly average, i would have thought being safe means to be above average in all categories.

But anyways, i did provide you with the link to the pdf, use it as a resource. I dont feel this is anything worth debating over, so my posts hopefully stop here.

Last edited:
I know this is 7 years later but I had some questions as well regarding my gpa.

I am currently a 1st semester junior and have an overall gpa of 3.64. I know its not bad, but what concerns me is my science gpa. I currently have a 3.2 science gpa. Does this look bad to optometry schools? Also, I may be calculating my science gpa wrong though. What is considered a science gpa? Like what classes? Is it Math, biology, physics, and chemistry classes? Does it include psychology classes as well?

I know this is 7 years later but I had some questions as well regarding my gpa.

I am currently a 1st semester junior and have an overall gpa of 3.64. I know its not bad, but what concerns me is my science gpa. I currently have a 3.2 science gpa. Does this look bad to optometry schools? Also, I may be calculating my science gpa wrong though. What is considered a science gpa? Like what classes? Is it Math, biology, physics, and chemistry classes? Does it include psychology classes as well?
You are fine. I wouldn't worry at all.