Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is a traditional rotating internship?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Atlas80, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I saw LECOM has many people doing this afterward. What exactly is this? Does it mean the person failed to match?

2. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lots of people do a traditional rotating. It used to be required, but now most "internships" are built into residency programs. The traditional rotating programs are one year appointments where the intern will literally rotate in several different services. It's kinda like clerkships, but with more authority/responsibility. You would apply for a traditional rotating internship just like any other program so it's not that they failed to match. Some programs still require a student to have completed the traditional rotating before applying for their residency (More common in surgery and radiology from what I've seen). Additionally, some states require the rotating internship to become licensed (Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, and two others I can't think of).

It's a really good option for someone who still isn't sure what they want to do at the end of their 3rd year as you'll need to begin interviewing 4th year.

3. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Why would LECOM have so many people who are not sure what they want to do? I rarely see any other match lists with such high amounts doing this internship.

4. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You'll see lots with PCOM too, because PA requires the traditional rotating internship for full licensure in the state. Many of them will be in allopathic residencies next year.

5. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    It is a requirement for a lot of specialties. Particularly the "lifestyle" specialties.

At the hospital where I used to work, I was friends with a few of the interns. One of them is doing his ophtho residency now. Two of them are doing anesthesia.