what is all these DO vs MD debate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanpa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently learned about the DO degree.. I think its kinda cool especially since it is equivalent to the MD degree. I like to the whole holistic approach to heath care, but I don't mind the MD either..However sometimes when I associate with MDs either it being that I was a patient or just casually talking about something I usually get the feeling that most MD's are more of solving the symptoms and really dont invest on their patients...I haven't had any experience with DOs but I'm assuming they will be more patient and treat the patient as a whole et cetera et cetera.

Now with that said, I was wondering what all the debate was about ppl ditching a DO acceptance and doing an SMP instead. I read that DOs can take the Match or what ever its called, in order to apply to residency programs like the MDs..so if both degrees are one, and can end up in thesame route and results, why all the debates?
Please shed some light on this topic...

Members don't see this ad.

all your base are belong to us

from what I hear the differences are slim .. I apply for MD though first, only because the kids in such schools tend to have stronger credentials, so you know your among some of the brighter kids out there .. but I cannot emphasize enough how much a DO program gets a bad rep even though it doesn't deserve it. DO are great schools from what I hear

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recently learned about the DO degree.. I think its kinda cool especially since it is equivalent to the MD degree. I like to the whole holistic approach to heath care, but I don't mind the MD either..However sometimes when I associate with MDs either it being that I was a patient or just casually talking about something I usually get the feeling that most MD's are more of solving the symptoms and really dont invest on their patients...I haven't had any experience with DOs but I'm assuming they will be more patient and treat the patient as a whole et cetera et cetera.

Now with that said, I was wondering what all the debate was about ppl ditching a DO acceptance and doing an SMP instead. I read that DOs can take the Match or what ever its called, in order to apply to residency programs like the MDs..so if both degrees are one, and can end up in thesame route and results, why all the debates?

........whaaaa?

Search and you will find.

Ask and you will find sarcasm.

Maybe I did not clarify my thoughts, the post is not to go info on the difference between Do and MD, but it was for the writer to get an idea of what people really thought about MD vs Do and why MD and not DO..
Thanks by the way to majik1213 as u did understand the post...
And shed some light if you truly have anything meaningful to add
Thank you

Maybe I did not clarify my thoughts, the post is not to go info on the difference between Do and MD, but it was for the writer to get an idea of what people really thought about MD vs Do and why MD and not DO..
Thank you

Oh man..."all your base" is the only proper response...

Thank you

Uhhhhhhh.......

rungv4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.