What is an appropriate neuropsychology job search timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotic_cow

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'll be finished with postdoc in August and was wondering when I can realistically start applying for jobs? Is it too early to start looking and apply to some now? What's a typical timeline for this stuff? I appreciate any guidance/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I'll be finished with postdoc in August and was wondering when I can realistically start applying for jobs? Is it too early to start looking and apply to some now? What's a typical timeline for this stuff? I appreciate any guidance/advice!

I started applying in September of my second year for a finish in mid-August the following year. I officially accepted a job in December. It is not too early to start applying now. The interview and offer process can take a month or two. After that, the credentialing process can take 3+months. You're good to go.

I started applying in September of my second year for a finish in mid-August the following year. I officially accepted a job in December. It is not too early to start applying now. The interview and offer process can take a month or two. After that, the credentialing process can take 3+months. You're good to go.
Awesome, thank you! I didn't want to waste anyone's time by applying too early!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thank you! I didn't want to waste anyone's time by applying too early!

There may be some sites that want someone ASAP, but by and large between the interview process and credentialing, most won't mind waiting that extra month or two for the right person.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, I don't think now is too early in neuropsych, given that most folks involved in hiring (outside of HR) are going to know postdocs likely won't be able to start until Summer 2022 at the earliest. I would just review each posted position carefully to be sure, as WisNeuro said, that they aren't looking for someone to start ASAP. Many job postings will specifically mention that they encourage current postdocs to apply.

I started applying around December or January with a postdoc completion date of somewhere around August or September, and I think I'd accepted my position by...March or April, maybe.

I looked almost exclusively at AMCs, and most didn't actually start advertising and looking until Feb / Mar, though I started talking to my mentors and supervisors in Jan/Feb to get an idea of possible places. Many places were trying to get through internship and fellowship matches, and then they focused on faculty positions. Other places it was about when positions were earmarked for funding v. actually funded, which matters because places wouldn't/couldn't make official offers until the funding was in place.

I only applied to 1-2 places and a handful of places recruited me, so it was much easier to narrow down my choices. I did on-site interviews in June / July for the 2-3 places I was most interested in pursuing. I think I signed end of July-ish. Fellowship ran until September.

Last edited:
I think you're in range - I started looking around December and did a lot of networking at INS in February. I accepted an offer in May with a October 1 start date. One of my postdocs didn't apply to any jobs until May/June (which almost gave me a heart attack, but it was early pandemic times) and she easily got a job.

Related question for neuropsychologists at AMCs - what is the hiring process like at your institution? Do you have in house recruiters, and if so what's their role? If you know of any good central resources for the job search and hiring process in neuropsych (including contract negotiation, pay models, etc), please pass them along! I have the most recent salary survey and just got Mark Barisa's business of neuropsychology book.