What is an average salary for someone who works under another physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iggles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
title

Members don't see this ad.

We need more information than the title.

That being said, there are too many variables to start throwing numbers around.

No on gives a **** about what I post about salary.. :(

If you are wondering about working under another physician (associate) then look at the associate salary discussion link at the bottom. There should be a sticky about salary cause when I first was somewhat into podiatry, finding out how much they get paid was trying to pick it out of a black hole lol

I didnt write it but BLS for podiatrists sets the median income (not sure if BLS gives net or gross) of SALARIED (ie working under other physicians) around one thirty. So you can check that out too.

Interpret the data how you want, some do good but others do bad, really depends.

I didnt mean it as a truth, I just meant it as a possible reason because prospective students sometimes cross paths with podiatry bytes, uncensore podiatry and etc which are generally negative podiatry bashing sites where they often complain about podiatry low pay and etc. I was just stating what I read not my personal belief :cool:. But personally I dont think Podiatry in general is a 'top HIGHEST paying job'. If you look at the MGMA (I know I know its not the best source to some of you but its something) there are many specialties with higher medians. But youll still be real comfortable :cool:.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=817247

Here is some real data though if youd like to know about some podiatric salary, not my bros bro bro sisters dead fathers son in laws cow hearsay hehe
These numbers are from fiscal year 2004 (N = 10,830) NET INCOME:
< 25,000 = 5%
25k-75k = 17%
75k - 100k = 14%
100k - 150k = 25%
150k - 200k = 14%
200k - 250k = 10%
250k - 300k = 6%
>300k = 9%

I believe that this is probably pretty accurate considering the amount of variability in training within the profession. Of the respondents, 21% completed NO FORMAL RESIDENCY TRAINING (the older generation). Even still, only 22% make less than 75K and 64% make over 100K. In the young members study done last year, most podiatrists with a 3 year surgical residency were starting out in the low 100's. So, along those lines, I would expect the above numbers to rise with time as there is now a standardization of residency training as opposed to just a few years ago. Some docs got excellent training and some got next to none.
Okay so there is way too much information on that survey for me to write it but for the first year associate BASE( idont know if this includes bonus/benefits) the numbers wen as such
3% <30000
18% 30k-50k
44% 50k-75k
20% 75-100k
8% 100k-125k
7% >125k

But then there is another graph which states PERSONAL NET INCOME BY YEARS IN PRACTICE

2 year or less 85k
3-5 years 126k
6-8 yrs 141k

Also there are graphs based in type of residency

PSR- 12 = 90k
PSR-24 = 115k
PSR-24+ = 120k
PM&S 24= 90k
PM&S 36= 93K
Since this is always such a popular subject, I thought I'd post some exerts from the Young Member Salary Survey in 2005. I actually spoke with a member of the committee shortly after it was released. He said he thought that it was a fairly accurate survey but it was still probably a little on the low side. The actual document is PDF and can't be posted and I'm not copying/pasting that much! Here are some of the more pertinent questions:

2. How many years have you been in practice?
Years Frequency Percent
1 138 21.3%
2 171 26.4%
3 146 22.6%
4 107 16.5%
5 69 10.7%
6 10 1.5%
7 5 .8%
8 1 .2%
Total 647 99.5%
Missing 3 .5%

12. Which type of position do you currently hold?
Associate 254 39.2%
Independent contractor 53 8.2%
Partner small group (<3) 93 14.4%
Partner large group (>3) 28 4.3%
Solo practitioner 153 23.6%
Multidisciplinary group 43 6.6%
Other 24 3.7%
Total 648 99.7%
Missing 2 .3%

15. How did you find your current position?
Classified 80 12.6%
Word-of-mouth 201 31.7%
Residency program 108 17.0%
Head-hunter 8 1.3%
Other 238 37.5%
Total 635 97.7%
Missing 15 2.3%

18. What is your annual gross income (excluding
benefits)?
Under 30,000 24 3.8%
30,001-50,000 68 10.8%
50,001-75,000 132 21.0%
74,001-100,000 141 22.4%
100,001-125,000 76 12.1%
Over 125,000 189 30.0%
Total 630 96.9%

19. If you are an associate, what type of compensation do you receive?
Salary only 54 14.6%
Salary + bonus 220 59.3%
Income based on collections only 82 22.1%
Income based on billing only 15 4.0%
Total 371 57.1%
Missing 279 42.9%

22. Has there been a change in your income level over
the past year?
Increase 441 71.8%
Decrease 42 6.8%
No change 131 21.3%
Total 614 94.5%
Missing 36 5.5%

It also goes on to show that those with more surgical training tend to make more and that those in multi-specialty groups and large pod groups tend to make more than others as well. #15 shows that we find our jobs the same way that most docs find jobs (ie not classified ads or job postings). I always laugh when people say "I don't see any job postings for podiatrists."
Here is discussion about associate salary http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11359444

Thats FIVE sources so it can help you get a general idea

expect under six figures base (fifty to a ninety) if you want to work under someone else,ofcourse there shouldbe a bonus structure too

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There simply is NO answer. As an associate, you can make from $50,000 to several hundred thousand. Some doctors never aspire to be a partner due to responsibilities, financial committments, time committments, duties, etc.

We have a large practice and 5 partners, with our new associate hopefully on track to be a partner in the future. The other docs do well financially, but will never be partners. However, I know associates in some practices who probably make more than me without all the responsibility and concerns.

There simply is NO answer. As an associate, you can make from $50,000 to several hundred thousand. Some doctors never aspire to be a partner due to responsibilities, financial committments, time committments, duties, etc.

We have a large practice and 5 partners, with our new associate hopefully on track to be a partner in the future. The other docs do well financially, but will never be partners. However, I know associates in some practices who probably make more than me without all the responsibility and concerns.

Hey I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but why would some associates be on partner track and others not

Is it due to their personal choice or because of the current partners not interested in that particular associate, or a combo of both

I was just curious and you don't have to reply if it's too nosy

Hey I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but why would some associates be on partner track and others not

Is it due to their personal choice or because of the current partners not interested in that particular associate, or a combo of both

I was just curious and you don't have to reply if it's too nosy

Being a partner in a practice is a HUGE responsibility. As PADPM mentioned, it means taking part of the responsibility of actually running a business along with your duties as a physician and surgeon.

Some people don't want the responsibility, some people aren't good at that kind of thing (some great doctors are also terrible on the business side of things), and some people may not be in line with the direction of the practice, so the partners think it's better that they not get involved, and wouldn't want them as a partner.

There are too many reasons to list, but I think you the idea.

Being a partner in a practice is a HUGE responsibility. As PADPM mentioned, it means taking part of the responsibility of actually running a business along with your duties as a physician and surgeon.

Some people don't want the responsibility, some people aren't good at that kind of thing (some great doctors are also terrible on the business side of things), and some people may not be in line with the direction of the practice, so the partners think it's better that they not get involved, and wouldn't want them as a partner.

I see I see.. I just hope I'm not one of those guys the partners hate.. I can only see myself being an associate for only so long .. aha :laugh:

I see I see.. I just hope I'm not one of those guys the partners hate.. I can only see myself being an associate for only so long .. aha :laugh:

If they hate you, you're gone!

Sadly, some people just aren't cut out to be deep in the business world. It's not a matter of love you or hate you, it's a matter of whether you can contribute on the business side of things. Someone who has been very influential in my life recently describes it as "getting it". Some do, most don't.

Unfortunately, there are many who feel they do "get it" and they just don't. For those that do have a knack for business dealings, the ones who don't tend to stick out like a sore thumb. Especially when all they talk about is how great they are in business!

2r2nhib.jpg

As Kidsfeet stated, there are many reasons. Some simply don't want the time AND financial responsibility. And some just don't have what it takes to be a partner. In life there are followers and leaders, and not everyone is meant to be a leader. But more importantly, some are very content being a follower.

In our practice, each partner has significant responsibilites in addition to patient care. As I've stated many times, we each treat a large number of patients as well as running to hospitals, working long hours, etc. The other responsibilities are done above and beyond those hours. In our practice, we have a partners meeting VERY early in the morning once very other week for 2 hours, prior to office hours. Additionally, as partners there are financial responsibilites/risks involved, and it's "our baby". Many would like to simply work their hours, collect a paycheck and go home.

That doesn't necessarily equate with a lack of job security. Some of our associates have been there for MANY years and will remain as long as they would like. They simply won't be partners and none of them WANT to be partners.

As Kidsfeet stated, there are many reasons. Some simply don't want the time AND financial responsibility. And some just don't have what it takes to be a partner. In life there are followers and leaders, and not everyone is meant to be a leader. But more importantly, some are very content being a follower.

In our practice, each partner has significant responsibilites in addition to patient care. As I've stated many times, we each treat a large number of patients as well as running to hospitals, working long hours, etc. The other responsibilities are done above and beyond those hours. In our practice, we have a partners meeting VERY early in the morning once very other week for 2 hours, prior to office hours. Additionally, as partners there are financial responsibilites/risks involved, and it's "our baby". Many would like to simply work their hours, collect a paycheck and go home.

That doesn't necessarily equate with a lack of job security. Some of our associates have been there for MANY years and will remain as long as they would like. They simply won't be partners and none of them WANT to be partners.

Thanks PADPM and KF for teh clarification on why some are partners and some are not, very insightful :)