what is an "ideal" med school resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehappydoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do people think of as being a good app? strong enough to be accepted by the top-tier?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Screw these guys. They'll never know what it's like to go 48-0 in black ops nuketown.
COD4 >> MW2 >>> Black Ops

being the last one alive on S&D on Overgrown when the enemy plants the bomb on the opposite side of the map, and then killing all four remaining guys and defusing the bomb with 6 seconds to go >>>> Noobtown.

I wish diablo 3 was more entertaining, perhaps when PvP comes out.

Now what I was expecting when I clicked on this thread....but just what I needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
What, no one plays BF3 here?

what do people think of as being a good app? strong enough to be accepted by the top-tier?

Probably a 3.8+ GPA and 37+ MCAT, with significant shadowing, volunteering and research with publications. Beyond that you also need a 'unique' trait that will make you stand out in the thousands of students that have the exact same resume. Could be something crazy like world-class archer, or something simple like a career-changer.

You need a k/d of at least 5 to be considered.

Yeah I read all the profiles of the "stellar" applicants provided in the link of the second post. not one had a k/d ratio of over 5. Bunch of losers.

Probably a 3.8+ GPA and 37+ MCAT, with significant shadowing, volunteering and research with publications. Beyond that you also need a 'unique' trait that will make you stand out in the thousands of students that have the exact same resume. Could be something crazy like world-class archer, or something simple like a career-changer.
I'd say 35+ MCAT, pubs good but not necessary.

bf3 is where it's at
I'd say 35+ MCAT, pubs good but not necessary.
mcat just keeps going up and up i'm afraid..

yea 35 isn't gonna cut it for the top schools anymore, unless you make up for it in other areas. But I wouldn't worry too much about covering all your bases to be the perfect applicant. Not all of us have the same upbringing/opportunities/support/motivation/personality/finances to do what some of these ppl can do. If you try to be the perfect applicant, it might just make everything not as fun cause you tend do join clubs or do things for show on your app.

Make sure you get good grades and faithfully explore the field of medicine in a way that jives with who you are. Be thoughtful of where you get exposure to test yourself if you really know and like medicine, and you should be ok.

That is the most depressing yet motivating website.
i read it daily just to get a dose of depression.

Lmao. Well said. I feel like a **** human being compared to them.

Alright, back to my ps3.

COD4 >> MW2 >>> Black Ops

being the last one alive on S&D on Overgrown when the enemy plants the bomb on the opposite side of the map, and then killing all four remaining guys and defusing the bomb with 6 seconds to go >>>> Noobtown.

YES wow cod4 was by FAR the best... I played over 2000 hours of that game. Cod4 maps were designed to have great gameplay, unlike the other ones released after which were only designed to look good.

Wrong. Just wrong.

You must be a camper.

yea 35 isn't gonna cut it for the top schools anymore, unless you make up for it in other areas.
I don't buy this at all.

We're not talking about a guaranteed acceptance here (mostly because nothing is guaranteed) but "strong enough to be accepted by the top tier." Looking at US News' 2012 ranking, the top 20 schools have the following average MCAT scores:

36, 35.1, 36.9, 34.8, 34.2, 37.2, 36, 35.7, 34.2, 36, 35.1, 30.9, 34.8, 34.8, 35.1, 34.8, 33.6, 35.7, 34.8, and 33.9

Average MCAT of Top 20 schools = 34.98

I don't buy this at all.

We're not talking about a guaranteed acceptance here (mostly because nothing is guaranteed) but "strong enough to be accepted by the top tier." Looking at US News' 2012 ranking, the top 20 schools have the following average MCAT scores:

36, 35.1, 36.9, 34.8, 34.2, 37.2, 36, 35.7, 34.2, 36, 35.1, 30.9, 34.8, 34.8, 35.1, 34.8, 33.6, 35.7, 34.8, and 33.9

My bad. Should not have just said 35 isn't going to cut it.

That is exactly my point. Just getting a 35 nowadays and not having good EC's won't be enough.

Last edited:
35 will cut it, even at top schools. Those you see not getting accepted with a 35 have other significant flaws.

Guys can we please keep this thread on topic?

bf3 is where it's at

BF3 was great for about 20 minutes (jets). Then it got annoying.

35 will cut it, even at top schools. Those you see not getting accepted with a 35 have other significant flaws.

I thought those top-tier schools now have medians around 36/37/38? I've definitely seen that on this site before.

I don't buy this at all.

Do you know if USNews is matriculant data or accepted data?

The data I've seen on MSAR for accepted data tends to have medians as 36-37 for most of the top schools.

I thought those top-tier schools now have medians around 36/37/38? I've definitely seen that on this site before.

Do you know if USNews is matriculant data or accepted data?

The data I've seen on MSAR for accepted data tends to have medians as 36-37 for most of the top schools.
I think it's matriculated data. I'm pretty sure it's whatever the opposite of the MSAR data is, so if MSAR is accepted then USNews is matriculated. I have no idea where to find medians other than the MSAR, and I don't have one.

bf3 is where it's at

mcat just keeps going up and up i'm afraid..

If you guys (or anyone else) happen to play BF3 on XBox, NickNaylor1988 is my gamertag - let's play sometime.

I wish diablo 3 was more entertaining, perhaps when PvP comes out.

Nope! Glad it's kind of boring, I need to do real work.

Plenty of schools in the "Top 20" have medians near 35. A 35 will definitely put you in the running if you have an otherwise strong application (i.e. you won't get screened out for a 35; you'll get a human review).

That's exactly how far I would go.

Idk, I looked a while ago at a bunch of top 20 schools and only a few had medians below 36.

COD4 >> MW2 >>> Black Ops.

Always this. But I'd also throw in GTA4. Definitely an all time favorite, although a lot of people don't necessarily agree with me on it. Maybe I just have a Slavic accent fetish or something :laugh:

I've got the MSAR, but the definition of median requires that many with 35s were considered. I'm not claiming a 35 will get you in, but it will get you a thorough consideration.

The MSAR has average MCAT scores per school nowadays?! You lucky dogs.

I've got the MSAR, but the definition of median requires that many with 35s were considered. I'm not claiming a 35 will get you in, but it will get you a thorough consideration.

Can anyone confirm if the MSAR is matriculant or accepted data? I was under the impression that the MSAR is matriculant while US News is accepted.

I wouldn't go that far either

I'm with you. A 35 doesn't assure you anything, it doesn't mean you're flawed though. It may just mean that your MCAT is 35 but the rest of your application is good but not remarkable. Lots of good people with a 35 don't even get interviews.

I'm with you. A 35 doesn't assure you anything, it doesn't mean you're flawed though. It may just mean that your MCAT is 35 but the rest of your application is good but not remarkable. Lots of good people with a 35 don't even get interviews.

I understand what you're saying. But I imagine that most "otherwise good" applicants with a 35 MCAT who apply early and realistically are at least able to land an interview. I mean, the process can't just be random... Right?

Wrong. Just wrong.
No. The single player campaign alone made COD4 absolute incredible. The multiplayer took it into the stratosphere. Customized, private servers, great game mechanics, great maps, varied map modes, no overpowered killstreaks, etc.

I did, until my second child was born. I've since played it about 6 hours in three months, and not at all in 6 weeks or more.

I'll update as I find out where my 36R gets me, along with above average ECs and some good LoRs. My 36R puts me right on the line for the median matriculate data on the MSAR. I'm right on the STDEV for all top tiers other than Yale/WashUesques which have absurdly high medians, though am still pretty hopeful for them as well.

I can be your lab rat ;)

Applied to many top 25 schools, a couple mid tier and my state school/OOS friend privates as safeties.

Also, I run a 5:1 K : D in CoD, tenth prestige in CoD4, and make BF my biatch.

nbd.

Super applicant here I coooooooooome!

I've been told a 34 an up is above, but that's not important.

CoD fans on SDN? This forum has sunk to an all time low.

BF3 for life (PSN: AnathemaXI if you want to 1337 enough to add me)