What is/are the main point(s) of the writing section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuerst

Plutonium Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the extreme cases (S,T... and J,K...) and "drain you before the bio section", what are some other reasons for having the writing section?

I mean I have seen several people that took the MCAT several times and many posted that they score in the 20s and something like a Q for the writing part first time around. Then ended up with something in the 30s but their writing sections dropped to L or Ms? With such big swings, how's the writing section of much use besides pointing out the extreme cases?

Members don't see this ad.

Zuerst said:
Besides the extreme cases (S,T... and J,K...) and "drain you before the bio section", what are some other reasons for having the writing section?

I mean I have seen several people that took the MCAT several times and many posted that they score in the 20s and something like a Q for the writing part first time around. Then ended up with something in the 30s but their writing sections dropped to L or Ms? With such big swings, how's the writing section of much use besides pointing out the extreme cases?

despite the fact that it may not be important, the WS makes the mcat a "complete" standardized test, so in case a med school wants an objective way to judge writing ability they will already have it (kinda like how they added a writing sample to the sat recently). in other words, a med school shouldn't need to know any other scores from other tests, just the mcat (just like now ugrad schools dont need a satII writing score anymore).

I still think its worthless, writing ability isn't a terribly important attribute for many physicians.

I have to disagree with your writing isn't important for physicians comment... I think writing is very important and a good sign of intelligence, and thus important for any career. Being able to communicate well on paper is crucial.

But… as far as the mcat writing sample is concerned, it is useless… because writing 2 essays in 1 hour will tell you very little about ones ability to write and think in my opinion… it is probably just there to make it a complete exam.

the writing sample isn't meant to test your ability to write as a doctor or anything, it's just another way of testing whether you have the ability to build logical arguments and organize them in an effective and semi-stylistic way.

For some odd reason,I do still think at least the AAMC thinks it's important, otherwise why would they keep both writing samples in the test after the CBT revisions?...

However, it seems like, aside from getting a J or something, med schools don't really care all that much. and I think they just want to make sure that you can actually write in a semi-compitent way (because after all, you could have just had someone else write all of your essays/secondaries ;) ).....but check out the statistics in the MSAR on matriculating student's writing sample, it's all over the place :D

I didn't let the writing sample get to me or thought of it as "draining my brain." I actually approached it as being a nice break from the rest of the test. I obviously wasn't James Joyce on test day, but as long as you build decent arguments and answer all of the questions, you are going to avoid the J,K,L and after that it's fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think writing sections are more important for phds and md/phds, particularly when your career is majorly based upon research, and publications. I remember one of my friends for an interview (i think it was mayo), who went for a MD/PhD who was asked about his writing score (he got a low writing score). I think then, that is more of a cause for concern. I think having a fantastic score for writing might help a lil if your verbal score wasnt stellar. but who knos

I don't think the writing sample tests your ability to write, per se. You can be a pretty ****ty writer and still get a P or Q. What matters is how you structure the argument. Think about what WS prompts ask you to do... "what does this mean, what would someone opposed to this say, prove that both sides could potentially be right"... in half an hour... go!
Now fast-forward to residency... when you have a 15 year old who wants an abortion and you're opposed to it... you're still "mr. objective doctor man"... you have to see her side and juggle all the factors... (of course this will happen for cases less extreme than abortions, but you get the idea). The WS taps into how your brain works and if you can overcome your biases quickly enough to solve a problem... as best as a standardized test can.