Status
Not open for further replies.

Flawless

Removed
Jul 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I just watched a why DO video on AACOM's website and it almost makes MD programs look bad. It says DO programs teach everything MD programs teach and on top of that, they take the patient as a whole in account. Isn't that what doctors generally do? Someone please clarify this for me.

Also are you just applying to MD program because it has more prestige and because its more competitive? Would you still be applying to MD program if DO program had more prestige and was more competitive?

mr2trd3

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hate to say this, but do a search on MD vs DO. You will find literally a million threads.

avantdesign

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I just watched a why DO video on AACOM's website and it almost makes MD programs look bad. It says DO programs teach everything MD programs teach and on top of that, they take the patient as a whole in account. Isn't that what doctors generally do? Someone please clarify this for me.

Also are you just applying to MD program because it has more prestige and because its more competitive? Would you still be applying to MD program if DO program had more prestige and was more competitive?
because house md is house md, and not house do.

duh.

Jun 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
An MD is an academic degree like a JD or a PhD. It is usually given by universities and places of learning not diploma mills.

Does Harvard give DOs?..How about Johns Hopkins?....Surely, there must be a Dartmouth DO school if it is advanced......

Nope...Hm....Why not if it's so great?

I don't care what the DO mafia says, it isn't any better than an MD and it may in fact be worse. It is much harder to get into diagnostic radiology, urology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, or other very competitive fields being a DO. Does it happen? Sure, I've seen exceptions but they aren't the rule.

A DO is given by DO schools. I don't care how they spin it, if you look at their admission statistics they are lower than almost all MD schools and much lower than the best MD schools.

No grade school child wakes up in the morning and says "Mommy...I want to be a DO when I grow up!!!!"

....Without question though, it is better than an FMG MD.
But not a US MD.

Aljazera

Removed
Jun 23, 2009
Status
Non-Student
An MD is an academic degree like a JD or a PhD. It is usually given by universities and places of learning not diploma mills.

Does Harvard give DOs?..How about Johns Hopkins?....Surely, there must be a Dartmouth DO school if it is advanced......

Nope...Hm....Why not if it's so great?

I don't care what the DO mafia says, it isn't any better than an MD and it may in fact be worse. It is much harder to get into diagnostic radiology, urology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, or other very competitive fields being a DO. Does it happen? Sure, I've seen exceptions but they aren't the rule.

A DO is given by DO schools. I don't care how they spin it, if you look at their admission statistics they are lower than almost all MD schools and much lower than the best MD schools.

No grade school child wakes up in the morning and says "Mommy...I want to be a DO when I grow up!!!!"

....Without question though, it is better than an FMG MD.
But not a US MD.
Nor do they say they want to be an MD when they grow up.

They say, they want to be a DOCTOR when they grow up. Its your choice what path you want to take.

Jun 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Nor do they say they want to be an MD when they grow up.

They say, they want to be a DOCTOR when they grow up. Its your choice what path you want to take.
I said I wanted to be an MD when I grew up ;) Guess I was the only one.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
This thread took a wrong turn REALLY fast:

We're currently in free fall at terminal velocity towards the bottom of a

c

l

i

f

f

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
To whom it may concern:

While you were out, the OP was banned.

Signed,
Teh Management

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
And I think we're done here.Anyone truly interested , please take a look at some of the stickied threads in the pre-osteo forum if you actually want some useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.