What is considered a gap in medical education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagheera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question: what is considered a gap in medical education or a leave of absence?I attended a school in Asia, and we did not have any time alloted for any of the USMLE exams. So if one wanted to take the exam before clerkship started, he/she would have to take a few months to study and take the exam. Would this be considered a gap or leave of absence in medical education seeing how the person was studying for the USMLE so they were eligible to do clerkship rotations in the USA? thank you for all the help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Quick question: what is considered a gap in medical education or a leave of absence?I attended a school in Asia, and we did not have any time alloted for any of the USMLE exams. So if one wanted to take the exam before clerkship started, he/she would have to take a few months to study and take the exam. Would this be considered a gap or leave of absence in medical education seeing how the person was studying for the USMLE so they were eligible to do clerkship rotations in the USA? thank you for all the help everyone!

Anything that is not a built-in break in the schedule, such as vacation time, counts as a gap.

Thanks winged scapula. So in my case, since my study time for USMLE step 1 was not a built in break of schedule, it would show a leave of absence for a few months. How much of a red flag will that be for programs?

Thanks winged scapula. So in my case, since my study time for USMLE step 1 was not a built in break of schedule, it would show a leave of absence for a few months. How much of a red flag will that be for programs?
As we say here in the states, "it is what it is".

The most important factor is that you do well on the US medical licensing examination. Many foreign students take time, even up to year off, but it is expected that if you take time off that you have an excellent score.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again for the reply Winged scapula :)

So what is an excellent score for USMLE step 1 and USMLE step II in your opinon for Internal Medicine for a US IMG? It seems everyone thinks if you don't break 250 on either exam you did not do good enough.

Thanks again for the reply Winged scapula :)

So what is an excellent score for USMLE step 1 and USMLE step II in your opinon for Internal Medicine for a US IMG? It seems everyone thinks if you don't break 250 on either exam you did not do good enough.
I'd recommend looking through http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf and deciding for yourself what you consider to be an excellent score. What is your desired positive predictive value for matching?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Raryn. I read that, and it seems there are multiple factors for giving one a high rate of match success, such as step 1, step 2ck, and number of interviews, among other things. I want the highest positive predictive value I can have. The only one I see I have the most control over is the number of interviews I can attend, which at around 20, it seems that gives you almost 100% matching chance, and to obtain that many interviews, one probably has to have good scores and LoRs from USA doctors to be invited. My step 1 score gives me about a 80-83% chance of matching while step 2ck is around 88-91%. Even if I had 260 in both step 1 and step 2, it would not give a 1.00 probability of matching. The only thing I saw that had that was going on 20 interviews for a 1.00 probability to match. I guess one would have to factor all these in and have some luck. Thanks for pointing out the data.

After the tangible scores, I'm certain the program director wants you to "fit in with your new family".