What is considered a reasonable courseload?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScholarStud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd like to take it back a notch next semester in regards to the number of science classes I take. This semester I took 3 and ended up getting a C in a prerequisite course.

Is it looked down upon to only take a couple science classes per semester? I know personally, I would be more impressed with a student who took a heavier science course load and maintained a good gpa, mainly because this would signal he/she could handle the course load in medical school.

I'd love to hear some other opinions about this, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about courseload unless you're already doing really, really well in all of your courses. Do what you have to do to 1) get the best grades you can get and 2) graduate on time, even if it means taking the minimum number of credit hours to be classified as a full-time student.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, it's my goal to have 15 < credits per semester, that would be about 5 or 4 classes per semester. I want to graduate in 4 years.

Are you post-bac or something? Couldn't you be working on other credits with just one upper division science sequence at a time, instead of only vigorous pre-req science courses all in the same semester?

Are you post-bac or something? Couldn't you be working on other credits with just one upper division science sequence at a time, instead of only vigorous pre-req science courses all in the same semester?

I just finished up my freshman year of undergrad. I plan on taking both physics I and II this summer and I have already taken gen chem I&II and Bio I.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'd like to just take Bio II and organic I next semester with some Gen Eds; is this light courseload trend reasonable to continue through graduation?