What is considered a strong tie to OOS schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simuu

Reaction score
Hi future-docs! :cool:

I have a question regarding 'links' to OOS schools. I've already compiled an extensive list and I'll definitely be narrowing it down in the next year or two. However, as a Texas resident, I was wondering if being born in New York City and living there for 12 years (attended primary school) qualify as having strong links to the state even though as of now no family lives there besides some family friends? I would imagine the schools in NY wouldn't care much as I was just a kid when I moved to Texas?

I was honestly just wondering if I should apply to the majority of the schools in NY or not.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding 'links' to OOS schools. I've already compiled an extensive list and I'll definitely be narrowing it down in the next year or two. However, as a Texas resident, I was wondering if being born in New York City and living there for 12 years (attended primary school) qualify as having strong links to the state even though as of now no family lives there besides some family friends? I would imagine the schools in NY wouldn't care much as I was just a kid when I moved to Texas?

I was honestly just wondering if I should apply to the majority of the schools in NY or not.

Thank you!
You should definitely apply if you want to attend, since NY schools are not nearly as hostile to OOS as Texas schools are :cool:, but, no, spending 12 years there ending 10 years ago is not a "link" or "strong tie" that will confer any advantage on you.

The problem you'll have at any OOS is specific to Texas. Texas schools are so relatively good, and so relatively inexpensive IS, that most OOS schools assume Texas applicants will stay in Texas, and this makes it really hard if you cannot get into a Texas school or are not a rock star. Top schools assume rock stars will turn down IS opportunities go T10 or T20, so the bias doesn't really exist with them. You will find this has nothing to do with NY, or any particular state. It's a Texas thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should definitely apply if you want to attend, since NY schools are not nearly as hostile to OOS as Texas schools are :cool:, but, no, spending 12 years there ending 10 years ago is not a "link" or "strong tie" that will confer any advantage on you.

The problem you'll have at any OOS is specific to Texas. Texas schools are so relatively good, and so relatively inexpensive IS, that most OOS schools assume Texas applicants will stay in Texas, and this makes it really hard if you cannot get into a Texas school or are not a rock star. Top schools assume rock stars will turn down IS opportunities go T10 or T20, so the bias doesn't really exist with them. You will find this has nothing to do with NY, or any particular state. It's a Texas thing.

In case I somehow don't get accepted into any Texan med schools (which would be a downright shame, as I actually enjoy living here and wouldn't mind studying at any Texan med school), I always figured NY med schools would be a bit more receptive towards me. Plus the scenery would be a nice change from McMansion suburbia or sprawling freeways. I guess not now. :(

What would be an example of a strong connection to OOS schools?

Thank you!
Was in your shoe, where I moved away from my home state for college and lost my state residency there. Rejected pre-ii, despite living there for whole 18 years.

I thought it was a waste of money, so I would advise against it, unless you wanna live in NY for 4 years.