What is considered in-state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplenalgene

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior and I've lived in Chicago my whole life. I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and USC for college. I know that many med schools have a higher in-state admission rate. By going to USC, will that grant me California in-state status? What about Illinois in-state status? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, as long as your parents live in Illinois, you'll keep that IS status. Gaining IS status in other states depends on the state itself, but most states require 1 year of physically living there for reasons OTHER than school and showing bank accounts, a house, etc.

I am a high school senior and I've lived in Chicago my whole life. I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and USC for college. I know that many med schools have a higher in-state admission rate. By going to USC, will that grant me California in-state status? What about Illinois in-state status? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You’ll keep your Illinois instate status. You don’t get residency in another state by going to college there because your primary reason for being there is schooling. Your parents pay taxes in Illinois. That’s where you have residency.

Some states will grant residency after undergrad if the person works full time for a year and doesn’t go to school during that year.

You’ll keep your Illinois instate status. You don’t get residency in another state by going to college there because your primary reason for being there is schooling. Your parents pay taxes in Illinois. That’s where you have residency.

Some states will grant residency after undergrad if the person works full time for a year and doesn’t go to school during that year.

Also I just want to say - your college experience and how well you do there is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any type of state residency.