Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is considered late for DO applications?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by winterwind_23, Aug 4, 2015.

1. winterwind_23

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I applied to six DO schools and have received secondaries from all six. They are currently sitting in my inbox as I work on my MD secondaries. I've read that the DO cycle is longer than the MD cycle, so it isn't as critical to have everything complete by August. If I were not to submit my DO secondaries until mid September, would I still be early? Or should I push to get them all in this month?

Also, I heard that DO schools require you to make decision and put a large security deposit in within two weeks of an acceptance? Is this true at all DO schools? Or do only several schools do this? The DO schools I am applying to are:

DMU
    KCUMB
    Western
    ATSU-KCOM
    PCOM
    Touro-CA

Do these schools have the two-week policy requiring a large deposit? This will help me decide whether to submit secondaries/interview at DO schools earlier the October 15 date, which is when MD schools are allowed to release acceptances.

Thanks!

2. BGMayagi

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    http://www.aacom.org/news-and-events/publications/cib

The link will bring you to the online CIB book which will give you most of the information you seek about deposits to specific schools.

As far as whats late, I cant help you as I'm an applicant myself but I'd imagine it's always a good thing to finish stuff ASAP if your serious about applying with the best chances.

3. winterwind_23

2+ Year Member

Thanks, the link is really helpful! This was the information I was looking for:
    • Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
    • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
    • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
    • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

If I aim to get my secondaries in by early September, and then interview in November, I should have my acceptance by January 14, which should give me 30 days to decide!

4. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    January is late.

5. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

Depends on your stats . If you are hyper competitive, late would be February. If you are competitive, December would be late. If you are not competitive, October would be late. Take my opinion with a grain of NaCl.

** Referring to secondaries.

doctor in da makin likes this.
  6. winterwind_23

2+ Year Member

I'm guessing I am competitive (3.4/35). This means it won't hurt me too much as long as I submit secondaries before October?

7. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

Yup. You should be fine.