1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is considered leadership?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by gitfiddle2000, Dec 14, 2008.

1. gitfiddle2000

Pre-Medical
    Hello, I was wondering what colleges would deem as leadership.

What do they hold in higher esteem usually, being part of say.. a leadership club? or hosting an event?

Personally i'm not sure if what I have in mind is considered leadership experience. For the past 1.5 years I've been working at a homeless shelter and usually am the only person watching over 15-20 people, I deal with cops, EMTS etc.. and make major decisions that effect all of the people who are staying there.

Also when I was 19 I tried starting my own advertising business and was making major decisions in that also.

Would college accept what I have in mind as maybe being my leadership experience?

Thanks for the replies in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

If it's a leadership experience, then you must do something to lead. Your responsibility in the homeless shelter sounds like you took a leadership role. Having an officer position in a club can entail leadership, or not. It depends on what you did. Hosting an event? It depends: Did you organize others, make sure all aspects of the event were coordinated, take responsibility to be sure every task was accomplished, including cleanup? If it was leadership, it might have been a brief or very long, time-consuming enterprise, so its importance could vary depending.

If you tried to start an advertising business and failed, maybe it was not a good leadership experience. More details would be needed to help others decide, like how many employees did you have to lead?

Leadership could also be demonstrated by mentorship and teaching.

4. gitfiddle2000

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the excellent info. I'll probably omit the thing about the business lol, all I could really say about it is what I learned from the failure.

As for the event I only have an idea to go off for now.

Once again thanks for the reply, I'll definitely have to keep the mentorship and teaching part in mind too.