What is considered "research" in Med School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Rod_of_Asclepius_

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Pre-med here who looks like he may be accepted for the 2019 cycle!!!

Either way, I have a question though which I never have really gotten an answer to; in med school, what kind of research do you conduct for different specialties and what not?

Is it literature review?

I can't see med students sitting down and doing a ton of bench work or anything like that???

Members don't see this ad.

Posters, abstracts, or publications. Publications obviously carry the most weight.

Reactions: 2 users
Posters, abstracts, or publications. Publications obviously carry the most weight.
So do you find a faculty member at your school? Sorry to be somewhat ignorant but I've never been a research guy and know I will have to get my feet wet at some point with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it literature review?

Though literature reviews can be a great way to familiarize yourself with scientific publications and get exposed to scientific writing, they are to be written by "experts" on the topic of the paper. You will sometimes hear lit. reviews referred to as "expert reviews", as they are supposed to critically evaluate a representation of the most important papers written on the subject. Contrary to what some people here will say, they don't necessarily take "months" or "over a year" to write, but they will be extremely time consuming if you don't have an excellent mentor who can guide you through the selection of publications and provide you a basic framework for your paper. It is also best to not have your first paper be a literature review unless you know your research mentor is well-known in the research world in your topic and can almost guarantee that you will be published, or unless the paper is solicited (journal invited your mentor to write the paper).

I would reach out to researchers at MD schools in your area and see if you can hop on a project or help with writing. It is a long shot for DO students, but you can give it a shot. If you have any active researchers at your DO school, that might be easier to get in on, but the rewards will be far lower since they likely won't have any influence in writing letters for when residency comes along.

I can't see med students sitting down and doing a ton of bench work or anything like that???

They do. Producing papers in strong journals with basic science research looks extremely good for residency, especially in research-heavy competitive specialties. But in order to even attempt this, you should already have a lot of experience in basic research prior to medical school, otherwise you will sit around and waste all your time learning things for a long time and end up producing very little or nothing at all. Chart reviews or prospective clinical research studies are easier and will allow you to publish more in the short amount of time you have in medical school to actually do research.

Reactions: 1 users
Though literature reviews can be a great way to familiarize yourself with scientific publications and get exposed to scientific writing, they are to be written by "experts" on the topic of the paper. You will sometimes hear lit. reviews referred to as "expert reviews", as they are supposed to critically evaluate a representation of the most important papers written on the subject. Contrary to what some people here will say, they don't necessarily take "months" or "over a year" to write, but they will be extremely time consuming if you don't have an excellent mentor who can guide you through the selection of publications and provide you a basic framework for your paper. It is also best to not have your first paper be a literature review unless you know your research mentor is well-known in the research world in your topic and can almost guarantee that you will be published, or unless the paper is solicited (journal invited your mentor to write the paper).

I would reach out to researchers at MD schools in your area and see if you can hop on a project or help with writing. It is a long shot for DO students, but you can give it a shot. If you have any active researchers at your DO school, that might be easier to get in on, but the rewards will be far lower since they likely won't have any influence in writing letters for when residency comes along.

They do. Producing papers in strong journals with basic science research looks extremely good for residency, especially in research-heavy competitive specialties. But in order to even attempt this, you should already have a lot of experience in basic research prior to medical school, otherwise you will sit around and waste all your time learning things for a long time and end up producing very little or nothing at all. Chart reviews or prospective clinical research studies are easier and will allow you to publish more in the short amount of time you have in medical school to actually do research.

That does make sense! Thanks!

Lets say I was interested in cardio/pulm physiology or renal stuff, how would I go about something like that? In theory of course...

That does make sense! Thanks!

Lets say I was interested in cardio/pulm physiology or renal stuff, how would I go about something like that? In theory of course...

Email everyone you possibly can, starting with the residents/faculty who seem to be doing active research in those fields at MD schools nearby. Look at summer research fellowship postings online for opportunities, whether it is nearby or far away. Like I said, it can be very tough for DO students to get their foot in the door, but maybe it will work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Email everyone you possibly can, starting with the residents/faculty who seem to be doing active research in those fields at MD schools nearby. Look at summer research fellowship postings online. Like I said, it can be very tough for DO students to get their foot in the door, but maybe it will work out.
Thank you!

So do you find a faculty member at your school? Sorry to be somewhat ignorant but I've never been a research guy and know I will have to get my feet wet at some point with it.
Yup. And depending upon where your school is located, if not at your school, then a nearby school, or other research institution. So if, say, NYITCOM didn't have anything for you, there's always SUNY-SB, the NYC schools, or Cold Spring Harbor. Don't know what Hofstra has available. If you're at MUCOM, there's always IUSM or IUPUI; Perdue or IU in a pinch.

You don't have to stay in the town your school is in...its just easier to. Besides staying around here, we had multiple people leave for the entire summer and go work on research projects on both coasts and southwest (I'm in the midwest). Google certain fellowships to apply for and everything. The opportunities are out there for sure, it just takes a bit more leg work as a DO

What do you mean by the bolded parts?

One of the biggest reasons to get involved in research (aside from actually producing research) is to build important connections in the field you are interested in. Obviously ACGME faculty that you do research under will have far more impact on your future residency prospects compared to DO school faculty that likely have zero clout in their field.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. And depending upon where your school is located, if not at your school, then a nearby school, or other research institution. So if, say, NYITCOM didn't have anything for you, there's always SUNY-SB, the NYC schools, or Cold Spring Harbor. Don't know what Hofstra has available. If you're at MUCOM, there's always IUSM or IUPUI; Perdue or IU in a pinch.

Does every school have faculty for every specialty (I'm guessing no)? For instance, I want to get involved in radiology research as soon as possible, but when I go to the research portion of my school's website, I only find primary care-related research. However, I know that we offer a radiology rotation at a nearby hospital. As far as I know, that's the best my school would have considering there aren't other schools nearby and the nearest radiology residency is almost 4 hours away. Any thoughts on how I'd approach finding someone? Thanks!

Does every school have faculty for every specialty (I'm guessing no)? For instance, I want to get involved in radiology research as soon as possible, but when I go to the research portion of my school's website, I only find primary care-related research. However, I know that we offer a radiology rotation at a nearby hospital. As far as I know, that's the best my school would have considering there aren't other schools nearby and the nearest radiology residency is almost 4 hours away. Any thoughts on how I'd approach finding someone? Thanks!
get any research you can right away, then if you're able to get specialty specific then do it. Its better to have some than none, even if its in an unrelated specialty. Many times, you can find cases to write up and such during rotations 3rd/4th year in the specialty you want. If you have opportunities to do any sort of research, do it. Still shows you went out and got familiar with the research process, which I've been told helps.

No, the vast majority of DO schools do not have any real research departments or any real research faculty, especially in more specialized fields. First try reaching out to ACGME programs nearby and also look online for applying to summer research fellowships at ACGME programs everywhere. If that doesn't work out go through your DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
No, the vast majority of DO schools do not have any real research departments or any real research faculty, especially in more specialized fields. First try reaching out to ACGME programs nearby and also look online for applying to summer research fellowships at ACGME programs everywhere. If that doesn't work out go through your DO school.

Yeah that was kind of my fear...

There were two people who matched this year and one last year at my school for radiology. Would it be weird to reach out to these people and asked what they did? We have an anonymous match list, but maybe I could figure out who the people were if I asked around?