What is considered "strong ties" to Massachussetts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navier_Stokes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been searching the forum for this specific question, thinking it would pop up, but I couldn't find it.

I actually attended a high school in Mass. and moved to CA. after high school and have become a CA resident since then.
But I was wondering this would allow me to claim that I have "strong ties" to mass?

I was just interested in it because I thought I might apply to UMass if that's the case.

Members don't see this ad.

UMass typically likes in-state residents. They might consider state ties as well (yes HS could count, especially if you grew up in MA and have family there), but you wouldn't be considered an MA resident as you said so that heavily affects you in what they're looking for.

Just my thoughts on this - the resident laws for MA are some of the most intense I have seen (6 years if I remember correctly) for consistent permanent residency before you are considered in-state for tuition/application purposes. I know because I got screwed in this deal while trying to claim MA residency as a recent (< 3 years) transplant. All of this, and the fact that most of my friend's classmates at UMass are MA residents, speaks to how closely they cherish this aspect of an application. Just something to think about if you're trying to use any ties you may have as leverage with UMass in that they are really OOS unfriendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMass typically likes in-state residents. They might consider state ties as well (yes HS could count, especially if you grew up in MA and have family there), but you wouldn't be considered an MA resident as you said so that heavily affects you in what they're looking for.

Just my thoughts on this - the resident laws for MA are some of the most intense I have seen (6 years if I remember correctly) for consistent permanent residency before you are considered in-state for tuition/application purposes. I know because I got screwed in this deal while trying to claim MA residency as a recent (< 3 years) transplant. All of this, and the fact that most of my friend's classmates at UMass are MA residents, speaks to how closely they cherish this aspect of an application. Just something to think about if you're trying to use any ties you may have as leverage with UMass in that they are really OOS unfriendly.

Thank you for your reply. I have been aware that MA has very, very strict rules for residency. I guess my "ties" to the state won't cut it.

Thank you for your reply. I have been aware that MA has very, very strict rules for residency. I guess my "ties" to the state won't cut it.
It won't for the purpose of in-state tuition. The tuition classification is separate from their admission criteria, though, and your ties certainly could help when they evaluate your application. But if you do get in you'll be stuck paying their crazy expensive tuition for 4 years.

UMass admitted 48"non residents" last year according to MSAR. That is 30% of the class. However, I suspect that many of those "non residents" are applicants who attended college or grad schools in MA and/or have been living or working in the state for less than 6 years and thus do not qualify as residents. If you grew up and graduated from high school in MA then that would be a connection for those "non resident" spots.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are raised there, live there, went to school there, or worked there is the most common ways one can link oneself to a state. Anything beyond that tends to be harder to work.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
All four years of high school? If so, I would count that as a good tie to a state.

UMass admitted 48"non residents" last year according to MSAR. That is 30% of the class. However, I suspect that many of those "non residents" are applicants who attended college or grad schools in MA and/or have been living or working in the state for less than 6 years and thus do not qualify as residents. If you grew up and graduated from high school in MA then that would be a connection for those "non resident" spots.

I am fortunate to receive responses from the respected members of this community. I am also grateful for everyone who answered me question.
Since it's one more school, I might add UMass on my school list. As a re-applicant, I just need to do whatever it takes!

Hope you guys all stay safe and healthy.

I actually have a similar question! I immigrated to Worcester, MA initially and grew up there. I went to elementary school there for 4+ years and both my parents were actually employees of UMass before we moved out. I honestly owe a lot to the community as I was making my initial transition into school in the US and would love to practice there.
Do you think UMass would be receptive of these ties as a decent/strong tie to the school?

I actually have a similar question! I immigrated to Worcester, MA initially and grew up there. I went to elementary school there for 4+ years and both my parents were actually employees of UMass before we moved out. I honestly owe a lot to the community as I was making my initial transition into school in the US and would love to practice there.
Do you think UMass would be receptive of these ties as a decent/strong tie to the school?
???? You never know unless you try, but honestly, 4 years 10+ years ago is not a particularly decent/strong tie as compared to someone who attend UG in MA, or who lived there for 20 years before moving away 4 years ago!! Bottom line - there will be a TON of people who do not qualify as residents who will have stronger ties than you. For starters, this will include everyone who has spent 4 years recently attending school in MA, as opposed to so many years ago.

Last edited: