What is everyone doing this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beccamt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to puzzle out what I'm going to do with this summer. I don't want it to be another typical lab research summer - after all, it's my last three months of freedom, as it were, for the next seven years at least! I keep thinking about totally random things, like hiking the Appalacian Trail or wandering around India.

What's everyone else doing with the summer before med school? Y'all better have some snazzy answers! :p

Members don't see this ad.

well, med school starts august 1st for me, so i'm gonna be spending a big chunk of summer looking for a house and getting it fixed up, etc.

BUT! I get to go to hawaii!!!! the day after graduation i'm on a plane to maui with my boyfriend. We're going for a wedding (not ours) and then we're going to stay for a week and a half. I'm so excited I can't even tell you. i've NEVER been on vacation like this. i've never been to europe, or done anything REALLY vacation-y. so this is a big first for me. so many people have travelled or done stuff, so now this counts as going somewhere :)
we're going to hike a volcano and snorkel. and mabe i'll just become a beach bum. who needs med school when you have coconuts? and cabanas? heh. jk

oh.. and i'm going to keep working on my book and harboring my delusions that i'll have time to keep working on it in med school. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

i have a good idea for u if u really wanna do something new..........

take a break and think.....where am i going ?

is this the life we want to live ?

studying.....graduation.....working......marrying....have some fun...dying..!!!

is this the whole story ?...i dont think so

looking for the real miracle.....try to find it here

http://www.55a.net/firas/english/index.php?page=show_det&id=61&select_page=6

Members don't see this ad :)
mostafa said:

I don't have to be flippant about med school to want to take a break from studying/research and do something totally different w/ the summer.

mostafa said:

I don't have to be flippant about med school to want to take a break from studying/research and do something totally different w/ the summer.

I'm thinking of going to New York City for the summer and getting a cool (read: non-research) job. And then vacationing in Canada.

I applied to work for the Center for Talented Youth, that teaching program Johns Hopkins is sponsoring at colleges all over the country...But I really don't want to do that anymore. I'm only gonna have a little over a month left in my home sweet San Francisco, before leaving it forever!! I mean, maybe the summer after our first year will still be free, but after that med school is year-round! And what are the chances I'll get accepted to UCSF for residency, and be able to come home? Like, hm...ZIP! So I think I'm gonna stay at home this summer and cry, and hug my Mommy and never let go, and rekindle all the relationships I ever let go stale...Heh, am I a dope or what..?

Bluntman said:
With some :luck: hopefully:

Atlantis in the Bahamas.
Cruise to Alaska.
Then maybe Hawaii.

Alaska cruises are great, but I would avoid Princess. It's okay, but it's kind of expensive for what you get. I think Celebrity, Norwegian or Holland America are a better bet.

As for what I'll do during my abbreviated summer, (assuming I get in), I plan to visit my family and friends. And basically do nothing. It's been a while since I've done nothing. I miss it. :)

troll elsewhere. that wasn't an answer to the question, that was a religious advertisement.

tacrum43 said:
And basically do nothing. It's been a while since I've done nothing. I miss it. :)
Word. There's definitely something to be said for that. (and thanks for the tip! :thumbup: )

omgwtfbbq? said:
troll elsewhere. that wasn't an answer to the question, that was a religious advertisement.

What? :confused:

travel my ass off, europe, east coast swing through the US, never been to the grand canyon. Then after i'm done w/all that, sit on my ass and read some books since i've never had the time to.