What is "exempt credit?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Pirate

Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at NYU's FAQ and this was on of the Q&As I came across:

Q: If I received AP credit, can I use it to fulfill a required course?

A: Yes, as long as it appears as AP credit on your undergraduate transcript. On the secondary application, enter AP in the grade box. Please note: We do not accept exempt credit for any required course.

What does "exempt credit" mean? I'm thinking it's something different from AP credit, because otherwise I have no idea what their answer is.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I know what they mean.

In my example, I had AP English Comp. and AP US History in high school. On my UG transcript, it lists the AP English course as being considered 3 credits and therefore a cognate to the English 101 course there. For the AP US History, though, one of the gen-ed requirements was fulfilled, but it was worth no credits. Therefore, I was exempted from taking that gen ed class, but it's not actually worth credit.

Sounds like what NYU means.

It's used, for instance, if you take an exam to place out of a course (a school exam, NOT AP). At my UG, most people place out of first semester Inorganic Chem by taking an exam and we were told by our pre-health advisor to list the course we placed out of as "exempt credit."

ah i see. Thanks for clearing that up.