• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

gentexan

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What is four handed dentistry? I know it's the doctor and an assistant, but why do some school brag about using it? Both school I interviewed at apparently were not four handed, so I'm a little confused. Is one better than another? Personally I'd like to know that I could do a procedure completely by myself, but having an assistant would make the process go much faster. So do the four handed schools give you an assistant while your in dental school and the others do not? Thanks

kappa505

eres tu que mi odio
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
Sea of Ecstacy
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
The proceedures will only go faster with four handed dentistry. That way you dont have to hold the suction, mirror, drill, and water all at once. Four handed dentistry is what most docs use when they get out of school because it makes financial sense.

W

wizziefiend

What is four handed dentistry? I know it's the doctor and an assistant, but why do some school brag about using it? Both school I interviewed at apparently were not four handed, so I'm a little confused. Is one better than another? Personally I'd like to know that I could do a procedure completely by myself, but having an assistant would make the process go much faster. So do the four handed schools give you an assistant while your in dental school and the others do not? Thanks

I've been told that you can get classmates to help you out anyway. Ive been told that those schools who do have assistants, it's not a 1:1 ratio. But I bet it's nice anyway to have an extra person with you to help. I bet some of the assistants know alot after being with students for a few years.

Mila

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

Some schools give you assistants that are in training as well, which might make the entire process go slower instead of faster - you don't really know what you're doing, and neither do the assistants because both of you are just training. Hence from what I've heard, some D students opt not to use the assistants.
Bottom line: While four handed dentistry can be the icing on the cake, I wouldn't use it as a criteria for deciding on schools.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.