What is gen physics like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if right forum but yes.

I took AP Physics C EM and M in 12th grade and got a 4 on the M exam and a 3 on the EM exam. the class really imitated a college course where marking period grade was based off a cumulative test of what we learned in that quarter(midterms more or less). I ended up with an A for the final grade. So my question is what is the difference between AP and gen physics?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if right forum but yes.

I took AP Physics C EM and M in 12th grade and got a 4 on the M exam and a 3 on the EM exam. the class really imitated a college course where marking period grade was based off a cumulative test of what we learned in that quarter. I ended up with an A for the final grade. So my question is what is the difference between AP and gen physics?

Content is going to be similar. No new topics or huge surprises. But depending on your professor, your exams will probably have baseline difficulties more along the lines of the more complex FRQs from the AP tests.

Last edited:
The more of it you do, the better at it you get. Just make sure you devote an adequate amount of practice to recognize the recurring patterns and you will be just fine - especially since you've seen the content once before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Content is going to be similar. No new topics or huge surprises. But depending on your professor, your exams will probably have baseline difficulties more along the lines of the more complex FRQs from the AP tests.
+1, this is exactly how it was at my school

It's probably going to be very similar to the class you took.

Thanksgiving everyone, I'm taking gen physics in 2 years, so I got some time. Also what's the deal with algebra based physics vs calc based for the MCAT? I was snooping around old threads and most people said to take algebra based

Yes but Calc-Based won't kill you either. Take whatever is more convenient but yes, the MCAT tests algebra based.

Thanksgiving everyone, I'm taking gen physics in 2 years, so I got some time. Also what's the deal with algebra based physics vs calc based for the MCAT? I was snooping around old threads and most people said to take algebra based

Because "most people" are actually clueless premeds or math-hating med students etc. MCAT tests algebra-based physics, but algebra-based physics is a nonsense term. Take calc-based physics, where you'll actually learn physics that will help you a lot for MCAT. Just because the concepts tested don't involve calculus, doesn't mean you can't use it.

Reactions: 1 user