what is genetic bottlenecks and founder in the context of genetic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
kaplan says,

Sex-linked traits can be found in genetic bottlenecks if one of the founders had a sexlinked trait but are not necessarily always found in genetic bottlenecks.

I don't quite understand this statement since I can not define the term genetic bottleneck and found in the context of genetic.

Hope someone can help out. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a fairly back and forth piece of crap sentence. After a bottleneck occurs, the remaining population can be considered a founding population. If the sex linked trait survived the bottle neck in one of the founders, then it can continue on. If all the population with the sex linked trait died in the bottleneck, than the sex linked trait disappears...That's all it sounds like it is saying, which is more or less a truism for any gene in a population.

I doubt that is what it really wants to ssay, but it seems like that is all it really says

thanks for the attempt,

but can you define "bottle neck" and "founder effect" ? Or anyone else?

Smooth Operater said:
thanks for the attempt,

but can you define "bottle neck" and "founder effect" ? Or anyone else?

Bottle neck is a major decline in population and it drives down genetic variability. Typically occurs after a major disturbance.

Founder effect is when you have a population. Say there are 4 traits equally occuring (Blue, Green, Red, Black) all 25% in a population on an Island. Now say 2 blue individuals board a raft and populate a new island. They are the "founders." The fact that there will be a new phenotypic frequency of only blues is the founder effect. Genetic variability is decreased. In other words the effect is that the new population doesnt represent the source population due to a bias toward the founders' phenotype.

As for the statement, maybe it's saying that Sex-linked traits are easier to identify when genetic variation in a population is low? I think the only way one can really tell is through a pedigree analysis though. What is the context of the statement?