What is going on? Time to give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella Swan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called two admissions offices of schools I have been rejected from yesterday and asked if the director or an adcom could review my application with me. As you will note from a previous thread I started, I haven't had an interview anywhere yet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11890927#post11890927

Well, a Dr. from one of the schools called me back today (I was not sure if it was the director or not and I didn't ask) and said that he was willing to review my application with me. I was excited until he spoke. He told me that I had an "incredibly poor" MCAT score. He went on that it was "unacceptable at his institution". To clarify I have a 29 and this schools average fluctuates been a 30.5 to 31.5. Yes, I applied to some schools I shouldn't have with extreme scores, but I really thought this school was in line with my stats (that's why I chose to call them). He told me that I would most likely not get in this year with my scores and to just start studying for a retake. He said "{My} GPA and ECs are very strong, but will not compensate for the MCAT score". I started to :cry:. I am still :cry: my eyes out. I'm trying to study for a retake, but it's doing me no good at this point. I'm about to waive the white flag guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Objectively, a 29 is not a bad score. However, if you were an out-of-state applicant for this school then you are often expected to be significantly higher than the average for that school because you're competing for a smaller number of seats. Perhaps this is what he meant? (...in not so many words)

I don't think a 29 is "incredibly poor," but it does limit your competitiveness as an applicant. You want to hit at least a 30. I can't assess your test-taking ability, but I'm a firm believer that if you work hard and study your tail off, a 30 or higher is well within your reach. I know now's a rough time, you're feeling incredibly upset, but back away from all this for a day or two, get your mind off medical school admissions, and come back with a clear head. If a career in medicine is what you genuinely want for yourself, are you honestly going to let this small bump derail all the hard work you've put in these past few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Objectively, a 29 is not a bad score. However, if you were an out-of-state applicant for this school then you are often expected to be significantly higher than the average for that school because you're competing for a smaller number of seats. Perhaps this is what he meant? (...in not so many words)

No, unfortunately this is not the case. It is one of my state schools. I went to ugrad out of state, but this is still my state school in reference.

No, unfortunately this is not the case. It is one of my state schools. I went to ugrad out of state, but this is still my state school in reference.

Hmm, well in that case I'm not sure where he comes off qualifying your score as 'incredibly poor' as I'm sure a not insignificant portion of his students matriculate with worse scores. In any case sit tight (definitely don't withdraw just yet) since you already paid your fees and wrote your essays. Definitely start reviewing for an MCAT retake and begin preparing your application for this year just in case. Good luck! :luck::xf:

Retake it. I took it 3 times. Not that it's good but there are ppl worse off than you. I think your 8 in one of the subsection pretty much ruined you.

If it makes you feel any better: I spent the last 2 yrs working for low pay at a job I hate. My immigration status was giving me trouble. There was a time I didn't even know if I could stay in the U.S.; it kept me up many nights and even gave me insomnia. My friends are all going to medical schools and pharm schools and I am stuck with this stupid job.

The guy told you you have great GPA and ECs. Those 2 take years to fix. MCAT only takes months. Quit the crying and start hitting the books.

especially if you're an ORM, i'd guess a 29 puts you out of the running right off-the-bat for the kinds of schools you've applied to. seems like no amount of extras can balance that out

I didn't realize you scored an 8 on a subsection. Some schools won't give you consideration with a subsection score that low. No need to dwell. Just hit the books and retake.

I think "incredibly poor" wasn't a good choice of words, but any time you score before average you are for sure taking a risk. Just retake.

8 is probably holding you back. You should retake it, and apply really widely (like, 20+ schools that are well within your range).

If you didn't get in this year, then re-take it and make sure you study hard enough to get over 30. I know having a gap year (this year) might feel like a waste of time, but giving couple months for yourself to review for MCAT will definitely help you get in. Don't rush.

The incredibly poor part probably refers to your 8. When your average is >10 an 8 is pretty bad.
Fix it and come back strong next summer.

Thank you all for your comments. With regards to the 8, why couldn't he have just told me that directly? Their median I believe is a 9 or 10 for verbal and their 10th percentile is I believe a 7 or 8. Also, I spent 6 full months (took off an entire semester) to study for the MCAT. This is a retake and this subsection has given me repeated trouble in the past. I pray to God that some day I can fix it. Best of luck to all of you applying this year and in the future.