What is going on with all the schools that haven't said anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuddlyKumquat

simply scrumpcious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished basically all apps in Sept, if not August. Soooo what is going on with these straggler schools that have rejected people, accepted people, interviewed...etc...and yet I haven't heard a peep. Rejection? Lost my file? Laughed at my attempt to get into their school and threw the whole thing in the garbage? WHAT?! let me knooow!!!!

Anyone started calling these procrastinators yet? :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Same here, Cuddly. No word from schools like Vermont, Temple, or my state school, Colorado. *sigh*. I think they're using my file for a coaster.

I never heard a peep from Temple. I'm lucky to be in the position where I could do this, but I emailed them to withdraw my application. They're mean anyway!

Of course I haven't heard from Emory or Penn, but I'm not very surprised about that :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are reeeeaaaaaly slow. I've gotten invites three or four months after being complete at some places. Unfortunately, some schools really may be planning to reject you if you don't hear from them for months and months. I called one of my stragglers and was told that they did not plan to interview me at this time. They were very nice, but the way they said it made me laugh, because it makes it sound like they might plan to interview me at another time. :smuggrin:

Anyway, I'd call or email those schools, CK. Worst case scenario, they're going to tell you sorry, no interview, but at least you'll know and you won't lie awake wondering what's going to happen. Hope you get good news. :luck:

Oh, Q, I've emailed, and I've called... and they usually won't tell me, or I get the answering machine, and emails go unanswered as if they were never sent at all. Colorado and Vermont just giggle at me and say that once the committee makes a decision the invite will go out, but they don't know anything until the committee says 'boo'.

More like 'boo-hoo' I think. :mad:

BTW: what did your last avatar mean, anyway? I know it was some kind of puzzle.... knowing you....

ShyRem said:
BTW: what did your last avatar mean, anyway? I know it was some kind of puzzle.... knowing you....
It was. I was pretty surprised that no one figured it out. Everyone was so fixated on the BaSO4 that no one came up with "unsaturated." And then I made the letters fat, so it was "unsaturated fat." :D

BTW, I'm sorry the schools won't tell you anything. I had some like that, too. One wouldn't even tell me if I was complete. :rolleyes: And then one day, here comes an interview invite from them from out of the blue. Go figure. :confused:

i wished they would just tell us. Also, Im pissed about this rolling admission waitlist thing where even though the students HAVE to make a decision by May 15th, the schools have no such deadline. HOW IS THAT FAIR!?

The rolling admission thing is horrible. After interviewing at USC (Carolina), I was told that the top 20% of those interviewed will be given a letter of offer within a few weeks. The ones who are not in that tier, will be either placed on "hold" or "waiting list". If held, that means that you are acceptable and they want you, but they want to see what their other options are.

Sounds like a very sick game to not inform the students where they stand officially.

Even though they may be slow with any response, at least they are quick to cash our checks! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

CuddlyKumquat said:

Oh yeah, I was told I would hear in 6-8 weeks at most from one school and now I am going on week 11 with no word (not looking good at all, I know). I called the school 2 weeks ago and one woman said "oh, I need to mail those out". 2 weeks ago. Come on, I would get fired for stuff like this. It would have been more polite of them to just call me at 8 weeks and tell me to f*** off.

Why even bother have an "on hold" option if you are never going to use it?

Personally, I think for the $100 we pay them, they could at least send a postcard with NO! written on it.. or email updates at LEAST every four weeks. I mean, really. $100 and I don't hear a single word? That's just wrong. Flat out stinkin' wrong.

And Vermont? "several weeks" is DEFINITELY less than 14. DEFINITELY. You should admit me just 'cuz I know 14 is more than "several". Even in mod 5 arithmetic that's pushin' beyond the "several" mark.

everyone was like WOW you got request for secondary applications...

Yeah, they need money for light bill.

Members don't see this ad :)
CuddlyKumquat said:
I finished basically all apps in Sept, if not August. Soooo what is going on with these straggler schools that have rejected people, accepted people, interviewed...etc...and yet I haven't heard a peep. Rejection? Lost my file? Laughed at my attempt to get into their school and threw the whole thing in the garbage? WHAT?! let me knooow!!!!

I can relate.... I have been told by Drexel and Creighton that they have not reviewed my file yet and that adcom reviews them randomly so they couldn't tell me how long it would be before I would hear something. My state school doesn't even look at the applications until January. Luckily I have already been accepted to 4 DO schools so at least I know I am going to be a physician and can relax a little bit, but I sure would like to know what the deal is with the MD schools.

I am worried it means they may be leaning towards rejection. I am an Aug MCAT taker though and the secretaries at the schools tell me that my file is complete it just hasn't been reviewed by the committee yet. They made it sound neither positive or negative. I guess we will just have to be patient.... :)

So when do schools stop interviewing? I know NYU stops in Dec. (haven't heard anythinng from them. Gr)

Feb? March?

CuddlyKumquat said:
So when do schools stop interviewing? I know NYU stops in Dec. (haven't heard anythinng from them. Gr)

Feb? March?
Depends on the school. I remember seeing on one thread a while ago that UCLA was interviewing in May of last year. :eek:

Like you said, other schools essentially already have their classes picked out (NYU) and the interview season is over.

In general, I think we're over half way through the interview season at the majority of schools.

amk25a said:
Depends on the school. I was at Buffalo a couple of weeks ago and I think I remember them saying they went into April last year BUT that they had enough spots open to accept every single person that interviewed on that final day (19!) if they were all that good. Of course that would be rare but the dean of admissions said he felt it was his responsility to ensure that nobody was interviewing for the waitlist because they appreciate the time and money spent in getting to an interview. Now THAT is a school I respect.

They also take the time to read each and every thing in an applicants packet (including individual LORs) because Dean Severin appreciates the time it takes your recommenders to write them. That may be why they take so long, but they do update the status page regularly! And they're nice when you call too :love:

I was complete at one of my state schools on August 23rd and was assured that I would be notifed whenever a decision was made on my file (either interview, reject, or hold). Most people heard something within 4-6 weeks, so around that time I called them and asked about it. They said again that they will let me know as soon as a decision is made. Well, as of tomorrow I will have been complete for 17 weeks and still no word...it's looking more and more like withdrawal time! This is a funny process sometimes.

MrBurns10 said:
I was complete at one of my state schools on August 23rd and was assured that I would be notifed whenever a decision was made on my file (either interview, reject, or hold). Most people heard something within 4-6 weeks, so around that time I called them and asked about it. They said again that they will let me know as soon as a decision is made. Well, as of tomorrow I will have been complete for 17 weeks and still no word...it's looking more and more like withdrawal time! This is a funny process sometimes.

Hallo! Hows it goin? You decided where you want to go??? ;)

CuddlyKumquat said:

Anybody heard recently from Temple, NU, Jefferson, Emory?? Are these schools still sending out interviews? Anybody received an interview lately? I have been complete for a while, and like others have said, no word either way from these schools.

there should be some kind of policy for these schools mandating that schools give us notice of interview or rejection BEFORE the are allowed to cash our checks! i bet that would speed things up.

wilson bitt said:
Anybody heard recently from Temple, NU, Jefferson, Emory?? Are these schools still sending out interviews? Anybody received an interview lately? I have been complete for a while, and like others have said, no word either way from these schools.

I didn't hear a peep from Temple until 2 weeks before my interview (12/10). I was losing hope. But, I guess with Temple once they have reviewed your file, they get things rolling. I was notified of their decision 1 1/2 weeks later. I was very surprised.