1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is good for the writing section?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by CaNEM, Jun 17, 2002.

1. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Could anyone answer a few questions about the writing section of the MCAT?

First, is the section important? Do schools give it as much weight as the other sections?

What is a decent score (say, equivalent to a 10 on another section)? What is a really good score?

I got high scores on the numbered sections (including verbal) and a P on writing. Will the P keep me out of top schools?

Thanks.

2. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

There are a lot of intelligent posts on this matter in the MCAT discussion area.

From what I've read, I think the essay can be important if you did really well (like and S or a T) or bombed it (like a J-L). Also, it might offset a poor verbal score (slightly) and might make a difference if the adcom is choosing between two otherwise viable candidates.

Personally, I think it's kind of a weeding out thing where they get nervous if it's really low, but don't care too much if it's high.

Somebody posted how they score it. I can't remember exactly so I would advise looking back in the past week or so. It's there.

3. PreMedAdAG

PreMedAdAG I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is what my TPR professor told us:
    For writing the scores are an average.. raw score is then converted into a letter
    J = 1
    K = 1.5
    L = 2
    M = 2.5
    N = 3
    O = 3.5 <------ National Average
    P = 4
    Q = 4.5 <---- this or above is IDEAL
    R = 5
    S = 5.5
    T = 6

Each essay is out of six, so you kind of have to double everything. I'd say that O is probably equal to an 8, P = 9 and Q = 10
    Hope it helps

4. jot

jot

i'm pretty sure that no one cares unless you bombed or aced it (what the poster above said) - they purposely report the scores in a letter scale so adcoms could not add it to your composite score; that should be indicative of its importance. a p is perfectly fine for anything. goodluck.
    -jot