1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What is good for the writing section?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by CaNEM, Jun 17, 2002.

1. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Could anyone answer a few questions about the writing section of the MCAT?

First, is the section important? Do schools give it as much weight as the other sections?

What is a decent score (say, equivalent to a 10 on another section)? What is a really good score?

I got high scores on the numbered sections (including verbal) and a P on writing. Will the P keep me out of top schools?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

There are a lot of intelligent posts on this matter in the MCAT discussion area.

From what I've read, I think the essay can be important if you did really well (like and S or a T) or bombed it (like a J-L). Also, it might offset a poor verbal score (slightly) and might make a difference if the adcom is choosing between two otherwise viable candidates.

Personally, I think it's kind of a weeding out thing where they get nervous if it's really low, but don't care too much if it's high.

Somebody posted how they score it. I can't remember exactly so I would advise looking back in the past week or so. It's there.

4. PreMedAdAG

PreMedAdAG I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is what my TPR professor told us:
    For writing the scores are an average.. raw score is then converted into a letter
    J = 1
    K = 1.5
    L = 2
    M = 2.5
    N = 3
    O = 3.5 <------ National Average
    P = 4
    Q = 4.5 <---- this or above is IDEAL
    R = 5
    S = 5.5
    T = 6

Each essay is out of six, so you kind of have to double everything. I'd say that O is probably equal to an 8, P = 9 and Q = 10
    Hope it helps

5. jot

jot

i'm pretty sure that no one cares unless you bombed or aced it (what the poster above said) - they purposely report the scores in a letter scale so adcoms could not add it to your composite score; that should be indicative of its importance. a p is perfectly fine for anything. goodluck.
    -jot