What is happening with UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have waiting for 3 months - no words on UCLA?

Members don't see this ad.

It's still very early for you. UCLA has a "rolling" interview list where they interview the very very best candidates first and offer them spots. Right now, they're probably interviewing candidates that will eventually end up at schools like UCSF and Harvard. If you don't get an interview offer by March or so, then I'd assume that you're chances are small. Still, I know that people who interviewed in April who got in.

khan - don't worry... i'm in the same boat. my application was complete in late august and i'm still waiting. i've gotten interviews at ucsf, ucsd, uci, but no love from ucla... just shows how random the uc's be. hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when UCLA started their first round of interviews?

Originally posted by geromine

I think it was back in October. I don't think they've interviewed too many people yet though cuz they don't do too many a day.

they seem to be really slow. there is probably no need to worry since they're giving out secondaries until late february.

Originally posted by lola
they seem to be really slow. there is probably no need to worry since they're giving out secondaries until late february.

are they really giving secondaries out til february? thats really really late isnt it? whered u get this info?

Don't worry about the secondary....They haven't even sent out their first batch of acceptances for the M.D. progam...which will most likely occur in mid-January.

they got their @sses handed to them by the trojans.. 52-21 :D

Hey guys,

Yes. UCLA can be the slowest, most excruciating wait, or they can do things shockingly fast. I was on the recieving end of both last year. Months from complete app to secondary, a couple of weeks from secondary to interview, a call one Monday "can you interview this Wednesday?" and then sixteen agonizing weeks till a final decision. And that aint even a record. A classmate waited twenty weeks from interview to a final decision. Another classmate got in the day after orientation started! :eek:

No news, while it SUCKS, is not necessarily bad news. Hang in there.

According to my status page, the school has had both AMCAS and UC apps since June/July. I was sure I was rejected. Then, out of the blue, I get a secondary yesterday. Even though I thought I was done w/ secondaries, couldn't be happier about this unexpected addition. :D (I'd give up my left leg to get into a state school.)

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
are they really giving secondaries out til february? thats really really late isnt it? whered u get this info?

i called the office and told them i hadn't gotten a secondary and was wondering if that means i was rejected. she said no and that they would be giving out secondaries until the end of february. LAME!

Originally posted by geromine
They started requesting in Oct, but didn't really get the ball rolling til Nov (b/c of their snail mail scheduling). They interview M-F & the committee meets Thurs eves (not sure if once or twice/month). Early on they only interviewed a few apps/day, but when I was there this week, there were @ a dozen interviewees. They told us that it's still very early. I was surprised to see that their office is actually very quiet, not hectic/bustling as I had imagined.

I enjoyed chatting w/ other apps, esp. during the long waits in between.
I met 2 really friendly female interviewees & it was great to hear @ their application experiences. One was just incredible & had interviewed @ 4 other top schools. There were a few out of staters. Most of the folks were very down to earth. I can only think of 1 or 2 guys who seemed like the "gunner" types & kept hogging our student guide w/ those kinds of questions. Also, there was an obnoxious jerk from Stanford undergrad whose head was so inflated, it almost exploded.

I didn't feel wonderful @ my interview b/c i was paired up w/ a really "no-nonsense" interviewer, but she warmed up @ the end. I'd rather feel cautious, though, rather than all confident post-interview, only to be rejected. Other apps told me though that their interviews were relaxed & conversational. The questions from the SDN interview feedback site are very accurate/helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Nefetari's post. The number of interviewees was two or three a day up until this week when I noticed a dozen people (on average) in suits show up for tours of the medical campus. Most of the interviewees are nice but there are some gunners ... like those gunners from UCSB (just kidding Peter ... they mostly come from USC and Stanford). If you interview at UCLA, two pieces of advice: relax and don't abuse the staff/students (especially since students are volunteering their time and hate to spend their lunch hour with snobby, "big headed" interviewees who ask questions that they already know the answers to and just want to impress anyone they can by providing the answer later -or- by putting down other interviewees in front of others.

Originally posted by Nefertari
They started requesting in Oct, but didn't really get the ball rolling til Nov (b/c of their snail mail scheduling). They interview M-F & the committee meets Thurs eves (not sure if once or twice/month). Early on they only interviewed a few apps/day, but when I was there this week, there were @ a dozen interviewees. They told us that it's still very early. I was surprised to see that their office is actually very quiet, not hectic/bustling as I had imagined.

I enjoyed chatting w/ other apps, esp. during the long waits in between.
I met 2 really friendly female interviewees & it was great to hear @ their application experiences. One was just incredible & had interviewed @ 4 other top schools. There were a few out of staters. Most of the folks were very down to earth. I can only think of 1 or 2 guys who seemed like the "gunner" types & kept hogging our student guide w/ those kinds of questions. Also, there was an obnoxious jerk from Stanford undergrad whose head was so inflated, it almost exploded.

I didn't feel wonderful @ my interview b/c i was paired up w/ a really "no-nonsense" interviewer, but she warmed up @ the end. I'd rather feel cautious, though, rather than all confident post-interview, only to be rejected. Other apps told me though that their interviews were relaxed & conversational. The questions from the SDN interview feedback site are very accurate/helpful.

Hey, I go to UCSB.

Watch it, my very young apprentice! ;)

There are some GAUCHOS in the house!

so long, I checked online on wed of last week and they are asking for an interview

:D

I never expected to get this far, I also got an interview at UCI. That was a month ago, seems like they put me in their waiting list after the interview ... dunno what to think of that, anyone...???

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jedi In Training
until this week when I noticed a dozen people (on average) in suits show up for tours of the medical campus. Most of the interviewees are nice but there are some gunners ... like those gunners from UCSB (just kidding Peter ... they mostly come from USC and Stanford).
Jedi, it seemed as though UCLA does admit some of these gunners. I remember that when our group tour went thru one of the library study areas, we heard some snickers (b/c we were all suited up). That's so obnoxious & unsympathetic since they all had to go through this ordeal as well last year. Hope you weren't laughing @ us! ;)

Nefetari -
The snickers are actually at the fact that a group of nicely dressed individuals are giving so much attention and respect to our classmates (we joke around a lot among classmates). However you did walk through the graduate reading room and I wouldn't be surprised if the snickers came from dental students who comprise 70% of the population in that area and show little if any respect for medical students (they are so full of themselves that its pathetic). Regardless, I apologize if you felt uncomfortable that day. Good luck.

Originally posted by Nefertari
Jedi, it seemed as though UCLA does admit some of these gunners. I remember that when our group tour went thru one of the library study areas, we heard some snickers (b/c we were all suited up). That's so obnoxious & unsympathetic since they all had to go through this ordeal as well last year. Hope you weren't laughing @ us! ;)

Of course I was joking about UCSB. In fact, my friend from UCSB crashed at my place last week because he had an interview.

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
Hey, I go to UCSB.

Watch it, my very young apprentice! ;)

There are some GAUCHOS in the house!

Originally posted by Jedi In Training
However you did walk through the graduate reading room and I wouldn't be surprised if the snickers came from dental students who comprise 70% of the population in that area and show little if any respect for medical students (they are so full of themselves that its pathetic). Regardless, I apologize if you felt uncomfortable that day. Good luck.
Thanks, Jedi. No problem--it was just a minor thing. It was most likely the dental students, then. We met some friendly students as well to make up for that. Congrats on completing your finals & hope you have a restful, well deserved break! :)

princess ckny,
how did you hear about your ucla secondary? snail mail? do you know if it was posted on line first? i too have been giving up hope on ucla, but your story got me excited!

hey brutus,
UCLA will post the update (secondary, interview) and then send you a hard copy letting you know what to do next.

*** does anyone know how many people will be interviewed before the first cut?***

Any of ya'll out of state applicants to UCLA?

How often do they update that website? I just wanted to know, because some schools don't update theirs very often.

hey PrincessCKNY and Brutus...

I'm also in the same both. my apps were completed back in June/July time period, and I'm instater. I haven't heard anything from UCI or UCLA......but hearing that CKNY got a 2ndary this much into the whole thing is giving me a new found hope!!!

Congrats Princess.....and good luck to you also Brutus...

I hope i can get teh 2ndary also; hey princess, how did you get notice about receiving the 2ndary? Thanks so much.

Laterz..