What is IM residency like and Allergy/Immunology Subspecialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What are the pros and cons of going the IM route to get allergy/immunology subspecialty??? Any other IM subspecialties with a comparable lifestyle to allergy/immunoloyny??? Also what is IM residency like??? How many hours a week you working during residency and on call for? How is it compared to other residencys??

Members don't see this ad.

What are the pros and cons of going the IM route to get allergy/immunology subspecialty??? Any other IM subspecialties with a comparable lifestyle to allergy/immunoloyny??? Also what is IM residency like??? How many hours a week you working during residency and on call for? How is it compared to other residencys??

Get into med school first, come back and ask your question in 3 or 4 years when it's relevant and you have something to gauge by. We'll still be here.

What is IM residency like..hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Get into med school first, come back and ask your question in 3 or 4 years when it's relevant and you have something to gauge by. We'll still be here.

In 3 or 4 years the residency hours will be down to 40 a week, they will do five 8 hours shifts a week and get a guaranteed 2 days off a week.

going the IM route to get allergy/immunology

I wasn't aware there was an alternate route (?) besides IM residency -> Fellowship

Fellowship can vart from 2-3 years depending on research/academic interests.

EDIT: I see Peds may also be an entrance

Last edited:
ENTs sometimes work as allergists, too. AS a specialty A/I is known for free cheese (RAST panels, injections), so it is sought after.

anyone know where i can find a list of what fellowship programs are strong in immunodef. vs allergy. I'd like to do a bit of both if possible.