What is important to you in a medical school program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is important to you in a medical school program?

• Program and school history

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Faculty qualifications

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Costs

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Teaching method and delivery

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Board/USMLE prep

Votes: 6 15.0%
    Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Curriculum

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

LJMACKMD

President of CIMTESES University, Medical School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered what this newest generation is thinking when it comes to important factors when choosing a medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Cost of attendance

Everything else, I can deal with or adjust to.

Reactions: 1 user
how close is it from Harvard so I can buy Harvard sweatshirt.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not being in the Caribbean is a pretty important factor for me.

Reactions: 2 users
1. That true pass/fail no internal ranking curriculum
2. cost
3. location, I hate snow! Especially 5 feet of it!
4. No mandatory lectures/attendance. Online exams are better. I'm trying to spend as little time on campus as possible during preclinical years.
5. everything else is standardized, during preclinical years at least

program and school history: only important if you're talking about how successful past students were. don't care if you were started in 1814 or 2014. i care if you have a good reputation among physicians

faculty qualifications? mostly irrelevant as chosen and promoted for facility for research is generally irrelevant with respect to good teaching

cost: as cheap as possible by not wasting money on websites that waste time or "new methods of learning"

teaching method/delivery: as much time for self-study as possible while providing high quality notes

board/usmle prep: give them time to learn it themselves

location: as close to support system of family and friends as possible

curriculum: irrelevant. just tell students what they need to know and then let them do it. anything that has "-based learning" is nonsense invented to appease the lcme and generally a huge waste of your students' time

The only thing you will care about once you start med school is if attendance is mandatory and if they post video recordings of lecture

1. In the United States

2. Not LUCOM

Reactions: 1 users
1. That true pass/fail no internal ranking curriculum
t

GL finding this lol.
You may think it's no rank P/F, but they actually rank you internally and you won't find out until 4th year. The dean must rank one way or another when it comes times for residency apps

That they accept me.

1. The school is not another new diploma mill
2. The leadership did not give themselves a medical degree while they were dean of a medical school they started
3. The leadership can actually practice medicine in at least one of the US states
4. There is no alternative medicine baloney

No one has mentioned the most important factor yet (and it's not in the list of poll choices)...

Quality of clinical rotations

That's because it's difficult to measure and depends on your clinical site. Even at each site it depends on which preceptor you are assigned to. I had a terrible rotation at a place that everyone else gushed about because I happened to have a resident who wouldn't even talk to me

GL finding this lol.
You may think it's no rank P/F, but they actually rank you internally and you won't find out until 4th year. The dean must rank one way or another when it comes times for residency apps
I found it at SLU and UNC. There are at least 2 more schools in the nation that use true pass/fail with no internal ranking according to my friend who is an MS1 at SLU.