What is it like being a Mental Health Counselor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBFutureHelper14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have applied to two Masters of Science in Counselor Ed programs. I have my first interview in two weeks. I am wondering if anyone can share with me, what is it like working as an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) in mental health. I am going to observe one this upcoming week, but I wanted to post up here as well.

1. What do you like about being a mental health counselor?
2. What do you not like?
3. What was your Masters degree in?
4. How diverse is your clientele?
5. Do you work for an agency or in private practice?
6. With paperwork increasingly becoming a large part of the health profession, how long do you spend on paperwork compared to time spent with a client?

Thank you and I look forward to feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

Firstly, this question is likely more appropriate thus better answered, in the "mental health..." forum. That said, I'll try to answer your questions. I should preface this with that fact that I am seeking PhD candidacy in clinical psych as I write this. For this reason, my answer's should be considered moderately biased.

1.) I like face time with clients. I like the challenge of conceptualizing and treating individuals, especially with minor to moderate personality presentations. I like the lattitude inherent in the occupation.
2.) I do not like the common laissez-faire attitude towards conceptualization. I do not like the nearly ubiquitous application of the wellness approach; sometime it simply doesn't address the needs of a pathological presentation. I do not like the lack of psychological education inherent in the CACREP model of training. I do not like the limit of statutory rights in some states, relative to social work. I do not like the curriculum inherent in the PhD of counselor education degree- it is almost completely void of clinical training and focused strictly on education, supervision, and research. That is not to say these are not valuable skills, only that it does not address the limited foundation of the master's degree.
3.) Clinical mental health counseling.
4.) On a 5 point scale: 4. My setting is a community behavioral health facility in Boca Raton, FL.
6.) Roughly 20% per clinical hour not including conceptualization.

Hi! I'll try to answer your questions. I have my MA, but am attempting to go back for a PhD/PsyD so you understand where I am coming from.

1) I loved working with clients, witnessing change when it happened and supporting clients when the change they wanted didn't occur. I enjoyed conceptualizing clients and working with them to make connections between their pasts and their present issues.
2) I do not like the limitations on LPC training on assessment. In my particular setting, there was frustration with the lack of accessible psychiatric care for clients in need of medication. The political battles that happen between the various licensure groups (LICSW, LPC, LPCC, LMFT, etc) grew tiresome and often detracted away from client focus.
3) Clinical Psych
4) 70% Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 10% African American (all self-report), 60% of my clients identified on the LGBTQ spectrum.
5) Agreed with @Phi784 . Day-to-day paperwork accounted for 20% per clinical hour, not including conceptualization and treatment planning.