Technology What is medical identity theft and how to prevent it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derberry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although, this is a medical forum, I wanted to give some tips on medical identity theft, because it is rising crime.

What is actually identity theft?
If someone use your personal information to seek medical services, medical identity theft has been committed. Unlike other types of identity theft, the offender does not necessarily need your social security number- access to your name, date of birth and address could be enough to commit the crime.

Quick tips on how to prevent medical identity theft:

* Get a copy of your medical records.
* Read every explanation of benefits.
* Don't give out unnecessary information.

Here are more interesting articles that will help you to prevent medical identify theft:

http://www.elitepersonalfinance.com/medical-identity-theft/

http://www.identityprotection.com/education/id-theft-101/medical-identity-theft

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/08/how-to-protect-yourself-from-medical-identity-theft.html

Hope that help!

Members don't see this ad.

@Derberry

CNBC Article said:
Don't give out unnecessary information

It may not sound like a dangerous request, but allowing your doctor's office to photocopy your driver's license or credit card is not a smart move, and often isn't even required to receive services.

If you're asked by the front desk to provide anything other than your insurance card, ask why it's needed and how the office plans on protecting your information. If you're not comfortable with their answer, then don't give them your ID or credit card.

The credit card one is a no-brainer (since it's a merchant violation to photocopy a credit card, especially the CVC2/CVV2 number on the back. Only a physical imprint is allowed with an imprinting machine.) My question is how to deny the front desk when they ask for driver's license? Often times they have card scanners and they will image all cards into their EMR system on the spot.

As a victim of identity theft, I'd like to branch out my protocol to include health care providers and be more strict with them. My question is: What's the best way to deny them from imaging my driver's license?

Also, I highly recommend to everyone to never give out SSN to a health care facility. They can simply enter 777-77-7777 or 999-99-9999 or whatever is their standard generic number.

@Derberry

The credit card one is a no-brainer (since it's a merchant violation to photocopy a credit card, especially the CVC2/CVV2 number on the back. Only a physical imprint is allowed with an imprinting machine.) My question is how to deny the front desk when they ask for driver's license? Often times they have card scanners and they will image all cards into their EMR system on the spot.

As a victim of identity theft, I'd like to branch out my protocol to include health care providers and be more strict with them. My question is: What's the best way to deny them from imaging my driver's license?

Also, I highly recommend to everyone to never give out SSN to a health care facility. They can simply enter 777-77-7777 or 999-99-9999 or whatever is their standard generic number.

Having a photo of each patient is a CMS requirement to avoid insurance theft (i.e., someone without insurance shows up with your card, claiming to be you, and without the photo we can't verify identity)

However, it doesn't have to be a driver's license; it can be any other photo. Our check in IPads take a photo of the person; they also have the option of swiping their Driver's License for the photo.