What is more important GPA or MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told by someone in the know that if you have a low GPA and a high MCAT, you can at least explain that by saying you had a tough courseload. If you've got a high GPA and a low MCAT, that just makes it look like you didn't understand the material enough to apply it.

Members don't see this ad.

LEDeVolld said:
I got a 35+ on my MCAT and a 4.0 in post bac, but my GPA was less at the college where I got my degree. There's an up trend but there was one semester where I did pretty bad because I played rugby and had a spinal injury.
...and what happened when you applied?!? :confused:

gujuDoc said:
No the point is that some people can't change their past. But what they can do is do everything to rectify the mistakes of their youthful past and do everything in their living power to increase their chances of acceptance.

And the point is that the MCAT carries slightly bit more weight then GPA.

But for those of you freshmen, of course keeping both high is better. I already stated that above when I said that a 3.8 and 31 MCAT is probably more likely to have an easier time then a 3.0 and 37. But that a 3.8 and 19 will have a much harder time then a 3.2 and 37. Just giving you some perspective.

I agree...try your hardest in maintaing a high GPA, don't take these classes for granted, I took it easy freshman and sophomore year and now am climbing a huge mountain to get my GPA back into a respectable area. Its so easy to lower your GPA but its so damn hard to raise it back up.

MCAT is the great equalizer... it takes a lot of work and effort. Studying for it should be a full time job, well atleast for me it is. There is no secret, gotta have strong GPA and MCAT to give yourself the best chance...and if its too late for that then you gotta work accordingly.

High GPA and low MCAT, study your ass off for that test, do what you gotta do, your #1 job should be to raise that MCAT score.

LOW GPA and High MCAT, if its a descent range apply and see, if that doesnt work then like everyone says you have options...Post bacs, Masters programs to raise that GPA to a reasnable range.

Its all about your love for this field of medicine and your determination of making it!

Members don't see this ad :)
SailCrazy said:
...and what happened when you applied?!? :confused:

I'm applying now. I just got word on my first interview today. My interviewer is going to take me to lunch and pay for it. :eek:

LEDeVolld said:
I'm applying now. I just got word on my first interview today. My interviewer is going to take me to lunch and pay for it. :eek:

Are you kidding????????? Or are you an EDP applicant????????