Medical What is my best option for premed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I graduated with a bachelor in Engineering (Chemical) with a 2.76 cGPA and just finished a maters in Mathematics with a cGPA 3.7. After a series of incidents, I decided now to go for medical school.

I have research experience in math and biomed-engineering(worked under professors in school), no publications. Worked 2 years in a ophthalmologist office as a medical exam pretester(check patient vision, eye pressure, perform exams like OCT , visual Field , ..etc.) during my undergraduate years. a lot other part times as cashier and sales associate during my undergraduate years too.

I'm deciding on whether to take non-degree pre med courses at some universities or go for a post bacc program for med school, or should I go for a second degree for a better GPA? any suggestions is appreciated, thanks!
first of all, there really isn’t any such thing as doing a second degree to get a “better” GPA. Your GPA is always going to be a cumulative measure of all of your undergrad courses—so to be clear, your masters GPA doesn’t factor in at all. It’s not fair, but it is what it is.

In light of this, your goal isn’t to completely repair your GPA, as it’s very difficult to do that when you already have so many credits. Instead you should plan to do at least one year of post bacc courses and get a 4.0 to show that you’re a much different student now than you were previously. You could also do a formal post bacc, though it’s more expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply! Since you said every undergraduate course is counted then if I includes my transfer credits from community college, that puts me at a slightly better situation( a gpa slightly higher than 3.0 ) with your suggestions, I think I should now just aim to get a 4.0 on a post bacc and then ace the MCAT.
Good idea. Make sure to do amazing in that post-bac! Make sure your non-clinical volunteer is helping the less fortunate.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.