What is my best option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atheene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bacc UPENN student looking for a little advice. I just finished taking four courses here and got a 3.5 GPA. I will be taking three or four classes next semester at UPENN as well where I hope to do better ending with, hopefully, around a ~3.7 GPA.

Some quick background: sGPA/cGPA(undergrad at GWU as BME): 3.31; Old MCAT: 30; PA resident (22 white male), 300 hours of EMT, 500 hours gwu medical research, 200 hours shadowing, I applied to 6 medical schools last year and didn't even get an interview at any school.

My ultimate goal is allopathic medical school and was wondering what I should do in the next year I need to retake the MCAT at one point before I apply not this cycle but next, which option should I pursue?:

1. Finish this UPENN program taking four classes -> take MCAT at the end of this summer after studying all summer -> get a job as an engineer for a year and apply for 2017-2018 cycle.

2. Same as above except do another full time post-bac program next year (BU, GWU, Drexel, TCMC, or Cincinatti)

3. Stop the UPENN program and start a part-time MBS program at commonwealth medical school(TCMC) in my home state that guarantees an interview. Because studying part time can volunteer/get some more clinical experience.

4. Any other suggestions to give me my best shot at getting into an MD program!

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Your only chances of getting MD interviews, I think, would require you to ace at least a year of postbac classes and get a great MCAT score. Also, you have no non-clinical volunteering. You need to demonstrate your desire to serve those less fortunate than yourself.

Also, why would you only apply to six schools?

Your only chances of getting MD interviews, I think, would require you to ace at least a year of postbac classes and get a great MCAT score. Also, you have no non-clinical volunteering. You need to demonstrate your desire to serve those less fortunate than yourself.

Also, why would you only apply to six schools?
Hey thanks for the reply,

Yes you are right, I have various clubs volunteering such as key club and habitat for humanity during college but i am guessing I need something more?

Getting a good MCAT score is a given it is just figuring out how to go about the three months I need to study for it and taking classes and doing other experience to optimize my chances for when I apply in june of 2018

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I am a post-bacc UPENN student looking for a little advice. I just finished taking four courses here and got a 3.5 GPA. I will be taking three or four classes next semester at UPENN as well where I hope to do better ending with, hopefully, around a ~3.7 GPA.

Some quick background: sGPA/cGPA(undergrad at GWU as BME): 3.31; Old MCAT: 30; PA resident (22 white male), 300 hours of EMT, 500 hours gwu medical research, 200 hours shadowing, I applied to 6 medical schools last year and didn't even get an interview at any school.

My ultimate goal is allopathic medical school and was wondering what I should do in the next year I need to retake the MCAT at one point before I apply not this cycle but next, which option should I pursue?:

1. Finish this UPENN program taking four classes -> take MCAT at the end of this summer after studying all summer -> get a job as an engineer for a year and apply for 2017-2018 cycle.

2. Same as above except do another full time post-bac program next year (BU, GWU, Drexel, TCMC, or Cincinatti)

3. Stop the UPENN program and start a part-time MBS program at commonwealth medical school(TCMC) in my home state that guarantees an interview. Because studying part time can volunteer/get some more clinical experience.

4. Any other suggestions to give me my best shot at getting into an MD program!

Thank you all

Were your schools a good fit? Did the profile of their incoming classes match what you brought to the table? How were your recommendations? What was the pattern in your transcript despite your final cGPA? It could be any of these... plus other things. Look at each aspect of the application.
I like option 1 because it allows you to finish what you have started and are doing well in, do the MCAT in a paced way, and apply to med school in a paced way. The only thing I would change is perhaps getting a medical job instead of one in engineering. That will help convince the committee that you are committed to becoming a doctor.