Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what is my chance with allopathic schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrMcDreamy3, Dec 11, 2005.

1. DrMcDreamy3

DrMcDreamy3 New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi everybody,
    I am in quite a bit of a jam and need some input. I have read many helpful posts and I would appreciate it if you guys would brighten my path a little bit. In my first 2 years of college, my GPA ended up to be a 3.2 overall. The reason for the low GPA I figured is that I was adjusting and that I really had no direction in where I wanted to go. My whole mindset was to get the hell out of college asap. I am currently in my 3rd year and my mindset has totally been reversed. I totally want to be a doctor now and will work my butt off; the commitment is there now. I believe if I get 3.8-4.0 this year, I could pull my overall GPA to about a 3.5, which I'm certain I can do. I am doing undergraduate research and volunteering at a community clinic while holding a job at school. I have been involved with the Boy Scouts for 11 years. I was an Eagle Scout and currently an assistant scoutmaster, helping to kids of all ages. If it comes to scouting, I've been there done that. Also, I will be taking classes such as psych and speech to improve myself and possibly help me to become a good doctor (not to impress the schools). I will take the MCAT in april. With the knowledge of my qualifications, I want to ask you guys what my chance is of getting into med school. What else can I do to improve my chance? Also, if I apply this year and don't get in (knock on wood) and then apply again next year, would it hurt me that I've applied before already? I'm sorry for this being so long, but I'm just very worried. I figured out I want to be a doctor quite late so that everything is squished into this little time I have until app is due. Thank you in advance, and I appreciate every comment that you might have.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What state are you from?

I think that you actually stand a fairly good chance.

4. DrMcDreamy3

DrMcDreamy3 New Member

Pre-Medical

i'm from Cali. UCirvine

5. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.

Attending Physician
    Ugh.

You're gonna have a lot of competition from in-staters.

A lot.

However, if you bring up your GPA and do well on the MCAT you stand a pretty good shot at getting in somewhere in the country.

6. DrMcDreamy3

DrMcDreamy3 New Member

Pre-Medical

thanks Fermata. i figured my chance in teh state is slim to none. all i need is one acceptance. i'll go anywhere.

7. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Good luck man, I'm sure you'll do fine. My undergrad. was a 2.5 gpa and I'm working my ass off in post-bac to improve that. I've heard of people in my position getting in after improving themselves, so that should give you hope - and you're far better off.

8. gbleeker

gbleeker Creighton, 2010
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your chances are just fine. Honestly, if it is what you want to do, you will get in, provided you don't get a 18 on the MCAT. Even if you get a 24, if your determination is there, you can become a physician, it just might require more than one attempt.

Negatives aside, I see no reason you can't get in, just study hard, and build up those EC's and service opportunities! If you study hard for the MCAT, get an average score, you will surely get in somewhere with persistance!

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No one can rate your chances until your grades and MCAT are put to bed, so it's silly to ask. I don't think you'd like hearing the odds of both acing a semester of college and rocking the MCAT anyhow -- Either you can make it happen or you can't. But if you are persistent, you can always get there. (As for your latter question, some places are reportedly more receptive to reapplicants than others.)

10. dr.z

Resident [Any Field]
    That will determine your fate.

11. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    DocMcDreamy:

I'm in the application process right now, scared to death that I won't get in anywhere, but even more mad at myself for not applying as strategically as I should have. So i'll share some mistakes that I made:

First, GET A COPY OF THE MSAR. I tried to get the latest copy this year from AAMC, but it was not released right away, when the AMCAS was open. I was so obsessed with getting my AMCAS in as early as possible that I just went ahead and applied to a handful of schools that my boyfriend recommended (he's in med school right now), and I totally forgot about the MSAR. Now in retrospect, I should have chilled out on the AMCAS, 'cause turning it in in June or July, or August even, does not make that big of a difference. I wasn't complete at my schools until then end of August/beginning of september anyway, and a lot of schools wait to interview the bulk of the pool after the august mcat. So my advice, either get this year's edition of the MSAR, or wait until the new one comes out, then submit your AMCAS. (but have your personal statement ready and stuff)

Second, don't apply to schools like GW, BU, and Drexel. You'll just drive yourself crazy. My dad's advice (which I didn't take to heart) was for me to stay away from urban schools. Everyone wants to go to school in a big city, so you'll face a HUGE applicant pool and reduce your chances of interviewing. And the rural schools will tend to have a lot of people turn them down in the end. For me, I wish I had applied to Iowa, and a bunch of other places I hadn't heard of (since I didn't get the MSAR)

Third, if you rock the MCAT, don't be afraid to apply to a few allegedly "numbers *****" places. Schools like to see an upward trend in your grades, and a SUPERSTAR MCAT score will only be the icing on top. I applied to WashU and got an interview. Look in the MSAR for schools that screen by a weighted cumulative GPA. For example, that was the case for U of Washington (by the way, don't apply there as an OOS), and my GPA for them didn't turn out as vomit-inducing.

Fourth, beware schools that are obvious "safety schools" for many people, including yourself. They may not interview you because they know that you are just using them as a safety.

Good luck, and great job turning that GPA around.