What is my chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFc

Reaction score
Hello all! As you can see, I have a low GPA and DAT score. I want to re-apply next summer, but I want to know if there is any chance that I can get in. I am planning to retake the DAT in September (the date is not decided yet) and taking one semester in a different college which I will take 4 science classes (molecular biology, medical terminology, nutrition science, and genetics + this can increase my sGPA). I already talked to one of the schools of the admission director. She told me, I can stand competitive if I can show an improvement which is getting better DAT and more volunteer/shadowing hours.

Am I trying something that is almost impossible to reach? Happy to hear your honest opinion.

Thank you.

Overall GPA: 3.19

Science GPA: 2.95

All Prerequisite minimum grades received (C) rest are all above(B to A), besides Biology (F, first time and retook to receive B), and I got some Cs in math which is why I have the low sGPA. (My GPA is uptrend)

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 18, TS 17, BIO 16, OC 19, GC 17, QR 19, RC 17, PAT 20

State of Residence: International student

University Studied: UArizona

Major: Physiology

Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 120 General Prac

Volunteering Experience: 255 (Board Member of FlyingSamaritian's and traveled to Mexico to give free dental clinics + community dental hospital). 45 through the dental hospital for disabled

Employment: working in campus (not related to science) ~1300, Military service (21 months + 5 months of Squad Leader)

School list:
ASDOH
WVU
New England
Rutger
Loma Linda
NOVA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don’t worry about shadowing and volunteering; although shadowing could be better, you checked those boxes enough for now. Your time would be much better spent improving your numbers, i.e. your dat and gpa; those are what’s holding you back. Make sure you get all As, and study your butt off to get a 22+. Have people (such as the workers at the school library who read over essays as a service) read your personal statement, experience descriptions, and secondary applications. Apply broadly, and don’t take out full loans for U$C or the like. You might need to do a Masters and get a 3.8+ there. Just my 0.02

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t worry about shadowing and volunteering; although shadowing could be better, you checked those boxes enough for now. Your time would be much better spent improving your numbers, i.e. your dat and gpa; those are what’s holding you back. Make sure you get all As, and study your butt off to get a 22+. Have people (such as the workers at the school library who read over essays as a service) read your personal statement, experience descriptions, and secondary applications. Apply broadly, and don’t take out full loans for U$C or the like. You might need to do a Masters and get a 3.8+ there. Just my 0.02
Thank you so much for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! As you can see, I have a low GPA and DAT score. I want to re-apply next summer, but I want to know if there is any chance that I can get in. I am planning to retake the DAT in September (the date is not decided yet) and taking one semester in a different college which I will take 4 science classes (molecular biology, medical terminology, nutrition science, and genetics + this can increase my sGPA). I already talked to one of the schools of the admission director. She told me, I can stand competitive if I can show an improvement which is getting better DAT and more volunteer/shadowing hours.

Am I trying something that is almost impossible to reach? Happy to hear your honest opinion.

Thank you.

Overall GPA: 3.19

Science GPA: 2.95

All Prerequisite minimum grades received (C) rest are all above(B to A), besides Biology (F, first time and retook to receive B), and I got some Cs in math which is why I have the low sGPA. (My GPA is uptrend)

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 18, TS 17, BIO 16, OC 19, GC 17, QR 19, RC 17, PAT 20

State of Residence: International student

University Studied: UArizona

Major: Physiology

Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 120 General Prac

Volunteering Experience: 255 (Board Member of FlyingSamaritian's and traveled to Mexico to give free dental clinics + community dental hospital). 45 through the dental hospital for disabled

Employment: working in campus (not related to science) ~1300, Military service (21 months + 5 months of Squad Leader)

School list:
ASDOH
WVU
New England
Rutger
Loma Linda
NOVA
Have you graduated already? really focus on doing well on DAT and GPA. If you can take a few weeks off to study for DAT and do nothing else, do it. aim for 22+

Do well on the DAT first. Don't retake until you feel confident you will get a great score. If that takes months so be it.